He smiled into the kiss and pulled her closer, if that was even possible, deepening the kiss further as she sat up more, making it easier for the both of them. 

Neither of them noticed the door opening and her brother walking in. 

"Wh-" Owen started, anger bubbling in his veins. The two pulled away from each other and Vanessa gasped as she noticed her brother standing in the doorway. Mark felt the colour leave his face as he watched Owen's fists clench and un-clench as he took in the scene before him.

Vanessa could tell he was having another one of his PTSD episodes so he was even angrier and off the rails than he normally would be seeing her with a boy - especially if that boy was Mark Sloan.

"Vanessa?" Owen whispered as if he still couldn't believe the situation that was unfolding in-front of him. 

"Owen..." She tried to calm him down but he paced forward, grabbing the collars of Mark's scrubs and slamming him against the wall, earning a groan from Mark. Vanessa shot out of bed, the rush making her feel dizzy, and ran to Owen, pulling on his white coat to try to get him off of the man on the wall.

"You think you can treat my little sister like that?" He yells, slamming Mark into the wall again, "Huh? Like you've done to every single other girl!" Crowds were forming at the door, watching the fight fold out.

"Get off of me!" Mark shouted, pushing on Owen's shoulders, forcing him to release him. Owen swung his fist out, hitting Mark in the nose. A horrible cracking sound filled the room and Mark cried out.

"Not the nose man!" He moaned, pushing Owen further away from him. Owen stumbled back, a murderous look in his eyes. Vanessa stepped in-front of him, putting her hands on his chest and trying to stop him.

"Owen! Stop!" She yelled but he pushed her to the side. She tripped over the leg of the bed and fell over, knocking her head on the floor and crying out. Mark turned his head to her and went to walk to her but was stopped by a punch to the abdomen from Owen. 

Mark fell backward slightly, punching Owen in the face once he regained his balance, forcing the man backwards with the strength behind it. The two of them fell to the floor, rolling around and throwing punches at each other wherever they could.

"Guys! Back off!" Vanessa yelled, using the rest of her strength to stand up and try to pry her brother off of Mark.

"Stop!" She screamed but neither of them listened, throwing their fists around and shouting at each-other, "Guys, please stop!" She cried, tears spilling down her face as she looked at the bruises inflicted on both of the men.

"Stop it!" One of their arms flew back, knocking her off of her feet. As she tripped, she smashed her head on the metal of the hospital bed and fell unconscious, the sound of her body thumping onto the floor stirred both men out of their trances.

"Oh my god..." Owen breathed, rolling off of Mark and hastily sitting back onto his heels, picking her head up onto his lap and checking her stability.

"Vanessa?" Mark groaned from the floor, trying to find the strength to get up.

"Right everybody move!" Miranda came running into the room with Alex on her heels, he scooped Vanessa off of Owen, much to Owen's dismay, and they both walked her off into the hallway, lying her down on one of the spare gurney's.

***

Vanessa opened her eyes slowly, taking in the scene in-front of her. She was in an on call room with Miranda and Alex sitting on the bed opposite her.

"Thank God you're awake, this moron is getting on my last nerve." Miranda called, walking over to check on her. She lifted up Vanessa's head to check on the stitches on the back of it, making sure they were done well.

"Everything looks fine, we should get you back to your room. Both men should be gone by now." She concluded, reaching her hand out to help her out of bed. Vanessa took it, being careful not to bang her head on the top of the bunk-bed.

"What happened?" She asked, rubbing her throbbing head and allowing Miranda to help her to her room with Alex behind them, making sure everything was okay.

"Your brother and Doctor Sloan got into a fight. A stupid fight." Miranda explained and Vanessa chuckled humourlessly, closing her eyes slowly and groaning lightly.

"My head hurts." She commented and Miranda nodded, opening the door to her room where she had to stay for the next couple of days.

"Your head is going to hurt, you had a concussion from the first fall let alone when you smashed your head on the bed." Alex piped up from behind them, placing his hand on the small of her back to guide her into the bed as Bailey was paged and had to leave quickly.

"And now I have to stay in this stupid bed for longer?" She complained, throwing her head back onto the pillow and instantly regretting her decision. Her head throbbed and she let out a sob, closing her eyes and allowing Alex to pull the covers over her.

"Yep. What you get when your brother and your boy-toy get into a fight over you." He commented, sitting down next to her bed.

"Why didn't they stop?" She questioned, "I told them to stop, why didn't they listen?" A tear slid down her cheek and she was quick to wipe it away, looking at the ceiling as Alex sighed deeply.

"They're boys. We get too caught up in the fight to listen to anything else." He breathed, looking at Vanessa with a sorry look, "Look, they fought and you were caught in the crossfire, what are you gonna do about that?" He asked, trying to understand where her mind was in the situation.

"They're both idiots. Stupid, stupid idiots." She grumbled, looking over at Alex, "Why did they fight? Over what?" She complained, the memory fuzzy.

"You don't remember?" He laughed and she shook her head slightly, narrowing her eyes to try and remember, "Mark kissed you, Owen walked in, fight." He made an explosion sound, throwing his arms out and making Vanessa laugh.

"How are they?" She asked, suddenly serious.

"No serious injury." Alex stated just as Mark walked to the door, leaning on the frame for support. Vanessa gasped lightly when she saw the injuries Mark had. His face had multiple cuts, one of which had stitches keeping it together, his eye was black and his lip was swollen. His arm was in a loose sling and he looked as miserable as ever but when he saw her he cracked a smile.

"Hey." He said simply, pushing off of the doorframe and walking in, looking at Alex until he got up from the chair. Mark slid into the chair and Alex left, giving her a small smile before closing the door behind him.

"Hi." She smiled weakly, reaching her hand out for him to take. He looked at it for a moment before hesitantly taking her smaller hand in his larger one and looking up at her, the pain in his eyes evident.

"I'm sorry." He croaked, tears threatening to spill from his eyes as he looked down, refusing to meet her eyes.

"For what?" She whispered, rubbing her thumb on the back of his hand comfortingly.

"If I didn't...then it wouldn't...you wouldn't be back in this bed." He stammered, still refusing to meet her eyes. She sat up fully.

"It wasn't your fault, it was Owen who knocked me down - both times. I would know, he did it enough when we were children. He's my older brother - he's an idiot." She dropped his hand and gently pushed Mark's chin up, forcing him to face her.

"I don't blame you, at all." She whispered and Mark smiled, leaning forward and kissing her hairline softly.

"You should sleep." He whispered back, placing one hand on her back and gently laying her down, placing another ghost of a kiss on her forehead. Vanessa closed her eyes gently and Mark leant back in his chair, watching as she fell asleep.

Why did it always come to watching her sleep?

*******************************************************

A/N: This chapter is looong lol and i dont like it very much but hey ho

i didnt proofread, again

Thanks for reading :)