The Waiting Game

Începe de la început

Sirius scoffed. "How am I feeling? How am I feeling? Pretty fucking terrible, to be honest—"

James nudged him in the side, and he sighed before rubbing his temples slightly, eyes falling shut out of frustration.

"I am doing terrific. Physically."

The doctor smiled at his response. "Amazing! That was quite a fall you took. The paramedics that were on-scene said you—"

"Passed out after my boyfriend tried to kill himself?" Sirius said monotonously.

The doctor inhaled sharply. "Er, well, yes. I-I'm terribly sorry to hear about that, sir—"

"Stop acting like he's dead," Sirius said sternly, closing his eyes in frustration. They opened back up though and he stared at the doctor in fear. "Fuck, unless he is—"

"Oh," the doctor said immediately. "I can assure you that Mr. Lupin is not dead—"

"Remus," Sirius said quietly, tears threatening to fall. "His name is Remus."

They sat in silence for a minute before the doctor cleared his throat awkwardly. He exhaled sharply and looked at his clipboard once more before smiling at Sirius.

"Well," he said. "You're free to go! Just head to the front desk and ask for discharge papers, fill them out, and hand them back in."

Sirius nodded curtly as he stared at his lap before he heard the door slam.

He collapsed in his hands, crying loudly into them. James rubbed his back comfortingly and sighed.

Sirius stopped crying after a few minutes, lifting his head up and wiping his tears away. He cleared his throat slightly and looked to James, who was smiling at him warmly.

"Let's go sign those discharge papers, yeah?"

******************************

Sirius let out a shaky sigh as he began to pace in the hospital waiting room.

Lily and James sat next to each other, James holding Lily's hand tightly as she bit her nails and stared ahead expressionless.

Sirius ran a hand through his hair as he started laughing. James looked up at him, confused, as Sirius started to laugh harder.

"How," he said in between laughs, but his face suddenly turned cold. "How the fuck did I end up here twice?"

James sighed as he stared at Sirius. "Sit down, mate—"

"Sit down? Sit down?" He boomed, causing other people to look at him in annoyance. He turned to them and rolled his eyes. "Oh, fuck off!"

He turned back to James and his face contorted in anger. "I-I can't sit down, James. I can't sit down because my boyfriend is currently laying in a hospital bed, unconscious, after slitting his fucking wrists! How the fuck am I just supposed to sit down?"

James squeezed Lily's hand slightly. "That's the only thing you can do."

Sirius scoffed.