Lakshmana nodded at him shyly, feeling deeply embarrassed that her consternation had been so obvious. Ashwathamma shook his head, "Don't be so fazed, my daughter, that was the case of everyone who knows Karna. You were not alone in your misery, his absence had left a dent in all of our hearts."

Karna looked away, feeling regret bubble inside him at the sorrow that he had subjected so many people to. It was never his intention but unknowingly he had and there was not much he could do about it now. If only he could tell them all the truth, then maybe his guilt would lessen a bit.

"Come now my child, you must be exhausted from your trip and you haven't eaten anything. I have arranged for lunch in your private quarters." Ashwathamma suggested. Lakshmana turned to him knowing that he had not partaken in the royal feast either, but Karna shook his head. 

"Don't fret over me, Lakshmana I did not journey for so many yojanas like you. Have some rest, we will talk again in the morning."

As Karna said this, it occurred to him that he was seeing Lakshmana after so long and he had nothing to offer her. His hands were bereft of any ornaments, he was clothed in the cheapest cotton and all that he had earned in his conquests had been distributed away in charity. He had kept nothing for himself, but as an uncle, custom required him to to gift her something. But what? What could he give to the Princess of Hastinapura and now the proud, royal bahu of the Yadava clan? This girl who could have the whole world at her feet, if she should so desire, what could he possibly give her as aashirwaad?

Noticing his disinterest in their conversation, Ashwathamma called out to him. "Karna? Are you even listening?"

"Huh...what?"

"Is something the matter, Uncle Vasu?"

Karna turned to the lovely child and murmured in defeat. "Forgive me Lakshmana, I have ...I have nothing to give you away as a gift. I didn't know that you would be coming but even if I did....I have donated all that belonged to me. Here you are decked in the finest robes and the most exquisite jewelry and I...I don't have...anything to offer you."

Ashwathamma looked at him like he had gone insane and Krishna was making an effort not to roll his eyes. They shared a look as if trying to decide what to do with him.  Meanwhile, Lakshmana covered his hand with her own and broke into a silent sob. "Do you think of me as that shallow? Do you believe that the crystalline radiance of diamonds, the rich smoothness of silk, the holy purity of gold are worth more than your blessings? The one who is known as Danveer, the one who has set the example of true charity to the world, to have his hand on my head is the greatest gift I could have ever received. Everything pales in comparison, Uncle Vasu."

The Kuru princess continued to surprise him with her wisdom and her uprightness. Truly, she was the daughter of Duryodhana and Bhanumathi. She bowed low, and he made a silent request to Surya Dev to always look after her and her kin.

Ashwathamma whisked her away, inquiring after her health, leaving Karna alone with Krishna in the royal gardens. He had a feeling that his friend had done it on purpose. As their steps faded, he turned to the west, saddened that he had missed today's evening arghya to the Sun God.