Part 20- Always Mine

We’ve been in the hospital for six hours now and I finally get to see Ryland. Her body lies in the hospital bed, so weak and helpless. I get the courage to finally ask Ryland’s parents if he could have a moment with her alone. Her parents leave the room.

“Ryland,” I try to say with shaky hands. I grasp my fingers around hers and take a seat in the closest chair. I start talking, “Ryland,” I say through the knots in my throat. The tears stream down my face and I don’t care who sees me. I continue, “Baby, I don’t know if you could hear me, but I’m just going to keep on talking, okay? I need you to wake up. Please, Ryland, just wake up. I am so sorry I left you for so long, but I am here now, baby. Please, I’m begging don’t leave me. I can’t afford to lose you. I just got you back and I can’t lose you again. If you can hear me, please Ryland, just give me a sign. Just squeeze my hand, Ryland.” I can barely talk anymore. I try to choke out the words, but I only sound like a telegraph. “Ry-land… no… don’t… you… can’t… leave… me…”

                                                           *************

Riley! Baby! Can you hear me? AHHHHHHHH! Riley, why can’t you hear me? I can’t move my body. Riley please, help me!

I hear him so clearly, but I can’t move. “Ryland, just please give me a sign,” he says. I try to move my fingers, but can’t.

Riley! It hurts so much! Please call the doctor! Riley, why can’t anyone hear me? It hurts, Riley! I don’t want to die!

I love you, Riley.

                                                                *************

I can’t feel her pulse.