Part 7- High Hopes

I wake up to my mom’s voice calling out my name. “Ryland, sweetie! I’m leaving for work now.” I open my crusted eyelids and shield my eyes from the sunrays as they seep through my blinds. I glance at the clock and it’s only 7:03. “Coming, Mom,” I yell as I get out of bed to go hug her. I meet her in the hallway to hug her and she tells me that Dad had left for an early shift today, which was weird because I didn’t think the company opened this early. But I didn’t question anything. 

I escorted my Mom to her car and waved her good-bye. I run to my room to see if Riley texted, but again, no messages. I fall on my bed and just stare at the ceiling for what feels like 5 minutes, but I look at the time on my clock and I’ve been lying there for the past 20 minutes. “What is the meaning of time,” I sigh heavily as I grab my clothes to bring to the bathroom to take a quick shower.

The first thing I do when I got out of the shower was to check my phone.  Again, no messages. I apply my usual makeup. Fill my brows, create a winged eye, and pop on some lip gloss and I’m good to go. “Simplicity at its finest or laziness,” I laugh at myself. Just before I bend down to grab my bag, I hear my phone buzz. It’s him.

I squeal too loudly, but thank God I’m the only one in the house. I would hate to have to explain this to my parents.  The text said, “Good morning, beautiful! Sorry for not texting you last night. I hope you’re not mad. I’d love to meet with you today after your classes.”

I begin to type, “Beautiful? I think you sent this text to the wrong person, my dear.”

My phone buzzes, “Is this Ryland?”

I reply, “In the flesh, my dear.”

“Well, then I’m definitely talking to the right person, my love,” he says.

I begin to type, “My love? You can’t say that stuff, my dear! You’re making me fall for you!” My finger hovers over the send button and my heart races, but I end up clicking select all and then the backspace.

“Well, you’re so cute for saying that, my dear, even though it’s a lie. :) I only have one class today from 10-1 if you want to meet afterwards,” I press send.

“I’m really not lying, Ryland. What do I have to do to prove it to you? *sigh*,” he says.

“I’m sorry. I’m seeing you later today. Just being in your presence makes me happier. Is that weird to say? Especially since I just met you less than 24 hours ago,” I send absentmindedly. “Oh, God,” I scream when I reread the text I just sent. I didn’t even realize I said what I said. I feel my face burning up, but my body goes cold, numb. What did I just do?

It takes a minute or two before my phone buzzes. “Well I’m glad the feeling’s mutual, my love. :) Can’t wait to see you later. I need to tell you something. Meet you at Starbucks at 1-ish?”

“You got it, babe. Definitely wanna talk about that band you “indirectly” told me about! :) I’m obsessed!” I click send.

“Babe? Aren’t we moving a little too fast? But I kinda dig the “babe” thing. ;) but yeah, I’m looking forward to seeing you. Just a couple more hours till I see that pretty face of yours.” He texted.

Oh, no, oh, no, oh, no! I didn’t even realize I said babe! How stupid of me! But everything just comes out naturally. Ugh, what did I get myself into? And I totally didn’t know I even mentioned anything about the band! Like I’m assuming he didn’t text me at all last night because he was too tired after, again, I’m assuming he was house hunting with his bandmates. But I don’t know anymore! What if he really isn’t the guy in the band. I’m just getting my hopes up. I sighed.