Part 3- Promise Me

He lightly pushes me forward by placing his hand on my lower back while I drag my bookbag. We both walk to make our order and before I could say something he starts listing his order and ends with, “And for the lady,” and turns to me waiting for my response. “Uhm, just a Passion Brewed Tea, please.”

“Names,” the barista asks. “Riley and Ryland,” he says. That’s when I realized what his name was. I like it. I take out my wallet and he shoves my hand jokingly back into my bag and says, “And what do you think you’re doing, love?” “Uhm, paying for my drink and the food of the stranger I just met,” I laugh.

He pretends to be hurt and touches his heart, gasps and says, “I am offended,” he says sarcastically. “Stranger? But we’re already on a first name basis. And the gentleman always pays on the first date.”

“Date,” I question with a raised eyebrow. “Fine. I pay next time, then,” I smile. We collect our stuff and I tell him, “I really want to stay and talk more, but I really need to go to my next class.”

“What? I buy you a drink and you leave me,” he jokingly says. But he says in a serious tone, “Are you not hungry?” But continues sarcastically, “Are you anorexic?” I stare at him blank faced and he says too quickly, “I’m really sorry, that was a joke. I really didn’t mean it. It was stupid of me-“ I cut him off and smile and force out a realistic laugh to make it seem like it was all okay and say, “LOL. No, really you’re fine. Don’t be sorry. I’m not anorexic or anything like that.” I smile and my big mouth starts saying things before I even realize I’m saying it, “How can I possibly be anorexic when I’m fat?”

With all jokes aside, he just stared at me. He looked like his was in pain, like he was really hurt. He opened his mouth and stuttered a little, “No, no,” shaking his head and continued, “you’re perfect. Please never say that to yourself. Don’t even think that way. Promise me.”  I looked up at him and said, “I’m really truly sorry. I didn’t mean for that to come out-“ He cut me off and demanded, “Promise me.”