“How was today?” Caine asked.

He had taken me out for lunch, something that was becoming a habit whenever he had a difficult day with the pack.

“It was good,” I shrugged.

“Good,” he repeated with a lingering smile on his lips.

It seemed like he wanted to say something else; that much was obvious.

“Alright, out with it,” I told him.

“Out with what?” Caine asked, feigning surprise.

“Out with whatever you’re thinking.”

Caine broke into a grin, while he reached for my hand. “It’s the first time your good day isn’t followed with a ‘but’.”

“Well it was a good day,” I said, frowning at him. “You’re making me sound like I spend all day complaining.”

“No, it wasn’t what I meant,” Caine said with hesitation.

“You think I spend all day whining?” I asked, narrowing my eyes at him.

“No, it’s just good that you’re getting used to pack life,” Caine rushed out.

“Oh,” I muttered.

“Dylan and his mate, Leila, will be arriving this coming week. I was worried you might not be ready for that just yet. I’m glad that isn’t the case. Their visit is something to look forward to.”

Caine was excited about the visit, but it was having the opposite effect on me. I had not been looking forward to anyone from Midnight Moon visiting.

During the last three weeks, Caine mentioned more and more the attack he was planning on Knight Pack. The worry for my parents and Theo’s well-being increased with every passing day.

“I still think it’s a bad idea that you want to start picking fights with people. You just came back from a large battle. Don’t you think your Alpha friend might want to rest?” I asked.

This was a conversation we had been having more often than not. It always ended with Caine telling me that this needed to be done in order to make Knight Pack back off.

Of course they would back off. Caine wanted to destroy everyone in the pack.

“They don’t deserve my forgiveness. I know you want to see the good in them, but there isn’t any. This war between us, it’s been going on for years. It seems like Tristan and Derek finally got the courage to take me on and I’m not letting them make the first move,” Caine explained.

He was wrong. I didn’t think they all deserved forgiveness, but some of the people did. My parents, Theo, and a few other members didn’t know everything that went on in the pack.

“I’m just saying that going to war with them seems a bit rash. This piece of advice is coming from a teenager,” I told him with a grin, while pointing at myself.

He grinned back at me and softly ran his hand over my cheek.

“Sometimes I forget how young you are,” he replied.

My mouth dropped open at his words. I honestly had the urge to slap him, if only to give him a surprise since I knew my slap would not hurt him in the least.

“I hate it when you make me sound like a little kid. I’m turning eighteen in two months. Two months. Don’t be forgetting that. By the way, you’re only twenty-five. Stop trying to act like you’re so grown-up,” I said in a snappy tone.