Chapter 30

Chapter 30

“What?”

“I don’t know what to tell you,” Theo said.

I leaned against the cells bars heavily, and closed my eyes for a second. I hadn’t expected for Theo to say that. Tristan was bringing my parents to Locus Pack. Nothing good could come from that decision.

“He wants for Caine to agree to something?” I asked.

“He knows that if you ask your mate for anything, he will give it to you. They have your parents. My guess is they will try to bargain with Alpha Caine for your parents.”

I had assumed that much myself, and the idea of it made me go stone cold.

“I’m so sorry, Charlotte. I really am,” Theo said, stretching his arms out of the cell to wrap them around me.

We stood for a minute or two in silence, with Theo holding me awkwardly through the cells. I imagined the position was uncomfortable for him, but he didn’t complain.

“They shouldn’t be doing this. I never thought they would bring your parents into this fight. It is wrong, and it goes against pack law.”

“This is Tristan and his greedy ways,” I spat out, bitterly.

Theo nodded. “It has his name written all over it.”

“I’m going to talk to Caine again, you know,” I said, my voice very quiet.

The Wolves that Caine had put to watch over me were distracted talking amongst themselves. They were practically ignoring me. Since they were blocking the only path out of the lower level, they weren’t really worried about me running away.

“Talk to him about what?” Theo asked, finally releasing me. He still held my hand in his, a soft look in his eyes. He felt bad for me. He didn’t have to say it, but it was clear in the way he was looking at me.

“I want him to let you go. I should have fought with him about it when he captured you. You don’t deserve this, Theo.”

“Don’t do that,” Theo told me, frowning all of a sudden.

“I’m still going to do it. I don’t need your pride getting in the way.”

“I’m not allowed to have any pride left?” Theo asked, smiling

“Not when it comes to this.”

“Your mate has had me locked up for months. He isn’t going to let me go all of a sudden. I don’t want you fighting for me, Charlotte.”

“Maybe I want you by my side, free.”

Theo smiled sadly at me, and he squeezed my hand. “The day Alpha Derek told us you were dead, I was furious. I went on a dark streak, trying to find any Rogue that neared Knight Territory. It was awful to find out that the Wolf I blamed for killing you had really been the one who rescued you after Alpha Derek kicked you out of the pack.”

“Liam saved me. But I’m here now, Theo. I would like if you’d stayed here, with me.”

Theo shook his head, and he let go of my hand. “I kind of imagined you were going to say something like that at some point. No offense to you or Locus Pack, but when your mate lets me go, I want to go back home.”

I couldn’t even begin to describe how much it hurt to hear him say that, although I should’ve expected it. Theo was loyal, not just to me but to Knight Pack.

“Even though they are trying to hurt my pack?” I asked.

“I would never do anything to harm you, and you know that, Char. But Knight Pack is my home. I’m not going to help your mate or your pack, but I won’t do anything to bring you harm. You have my word.”