"Kombucha for me thanks" she smiles, sitting on one of the bar stools.

Mads nods her head at her friends request, she passes her a can of the beverage then concentrates on making her own concoction that she surely will regret in the morning.

A boy dressed in black ripped jeans, and a loose green button up shirt comes into the kitchen. His light brown hair with blonde frosted tips makes him recognizable within seconds upon seeing his pretty face. It's none other than Jaden Hossler.

"There she is" he smiles warmly, opening his arms.

Mads' cheeks flush a rosy red as she puts down her cup of whatever and falls into the boys hold. Nessa watches from her seat as the two greet each other with so little words. She can't help but feel happy for her best friend. Even if he is who he is. Jaden isn't a bad guy, he's just a pop.

They exchange a few actual vocal words and Nessa can tell by the look on Mads' face that she's conflicted about something.

"Hey ness?" The blonde calls, grabbing the brunettes attention.

Nessa would have to be stupid to not know where this conversation was going. She's not upset though, she understands.

"It's okay! Go! I'll be fine" she smiles, taking another drink from the can.

Mads beams happily, running over to pull her best friend into a hug. She whispers words of thanks before scurrying back to Jaden who waves a hand goodbye in Nessa's direction. The two walk out of the kitchen, his arm draped over her shoulders.

Alone and bored, Nessa decides to have a change of scenery. She grabs her drink and makes her way out into the backyard, watching as people dive into the heated pool where couples are getting rather frisky.

The sight is rather amusing to her if she's being honest. It's like watching wild animals socialize. Although you'd never actually see a lion make out with a zebra in the wild nor would a monkey be getting touchy feely with a giraffe. But here? You see it all.

"Bambi?".

Nessa's eyes close shut with force when she hears the nickname she got branded with in the fourth grade after slipping on the ice twice at recess.

She looks behind her and there he stands, the boy who gave her the name. Joshua Richards wears a confused look, obviously not expecting to see thee Nessa Bookworm Barrett at a party for popular kids only.

"Hey it is you!" He chuckles, making his way over to the bench she's currently sitting on. "Didn't expect to see you here" he says truthfully, taking another swig of his drink.

Nessa and Josh don't have the best relationship but they aren't sworn enemies either. She thinks he's a stupid buffoon who's only good at sports and getting lucky and he thinks she's a freaky weird nerd who has OCD.

"Yeah? Me neither" she mutters in response, drinking from her cup. She screws her face up. This is the weirdest tasting kombucha she's ever had.

Josh nods his head, his knee bopping along to the song that's blaring through the loud surround sound speakers. He laughs when Blake Grey tries to do a backflip into the pool but bellyflops instead. It makes Nessa smile too- she won't deny that it was kinda funny.

"So why you sitting here all alone?" The boy quizzes, his eyes meeting with hers.

Her lips press into a thin line.

"I'm not alone, you're here" she responds smugly. Josh only rolls his eyes in response, taking another drink.

"Before I came along and saved you from social suicide I mean" he laughs, not amusing the smaller girl.

Nessa swings her feet back and forth- looking around the backyard. She sees Mads and Jaden sitting around the fire pit with a few other people. Her eyes land on her ex boyfriend Chase who has his tongue down Cynthia Parker's throat. Instantly Nessa can feel the burning rage in the pit of her stomach.

"Josh? Let's go get some drinks".

The already tipsy brown haired boy follows obediently as Nessa drags him by the hand into the kitchen. He says hi to a few passing peers, his clammy hand almost slipping out of Nessa's tight grip.

"What will get me drunk?" She asks, turning to face him with two bottles of alcohol in her hands. White wine and Whiskey.

He scoffs, smirking as he leans forward and reaches for another bottle she didn't pick up. He presents to her the tall bottle of clear liquid that could easily be mistaken for water. Dangerous.

"Vodka" he says, unscrewing the lid.

꧁꧂

_____________________
AUTHORS
~ n o t e ~
________________

I hate vodka
don't drink kids 🤮

Leave a vote and comment please 🤍