XXIX

Alexander and I spend my last night together in my room. I do my best to hide my fear from him, he's worried enough as it is. I need to be strong for him.

Laying in bed, we're both silent. He runs his fingers through my hair slowly and the gesture brings a small comfort. These are the moments I'll hold onto tomorrow.

"I really wish it didn't have to be this way," he finally speaks. I close my eyes and think about how I feel the exact same way. But now, nothing can be done. The plan is already set in motion and no one can stop it now.

"I'm going to be okay. We're going to be okay," I promise, keeping my eyes closed. I'm worried that if I open them, the tears I've been trying to contain will fall.

In this moment, I long for my parents. For my siblings. For Halle. I wish for anything that would remind me of my human life. When my biggest concern was getting to class on time and studying for finals. I long for the Friday nights Halle and I would go out together and find the cutest boys at the party. Halle always thought I was the pretty one, but she was drop dead gorgeous. And now she's just dead. Just like me.

Hope Lancaster died the day I was turned. I left behind my old life for good. Said goodbye to my old normal and embraced my new one. The world of vampires and royals and the fight for power. I might be stronger now, mentally and physically, but I wish I was still the vulnerable girl who devoted her life to others. Vulnerability meant innocence, and the things I would do to get that back.

When I finally open my eyes, the tears fall. I sniffle quietly, hoping Alexander doesn't notice, but of course he does.

"Hey, Princess, you're okay," he says, sitting us up and embracing me. My head sits on his shoulder as I let my emotions out.

"I don't want to die," I admit, my voice cracking. He rubs his hand across my back, but it only makes me cry more. I don't want to lose any of this.

"You're not going to die, Hope. I promise you that. I'll never let anyone hurt you again," he promises sternly. I sit up straight and shake my head, wiping away the tears.

"That's not a reasonable promise. Neither of us have any idea what's going to happen when I walk into there tomorrow. They could rip my heart out the first chance they get. I'm just- I'm so scared Alexander," I whisper the last part, trying to stop the second round of tears.

"It's okay to be scared. It's normal, especially for what you're about to do. But you're strong, and I know you can do this. I believe in you, Hope, and you need to believe in yourself, too," he advises. Sighing, I run my hands through my hair. That's much easier said then done.

"When all of this is over, I want at least one day with just the two of us. No lessons, no training, no princely duties, just me and you," I tell him. He smiles and nods.

"Done." He states easily. At least I'll have that to fight for.

"We can even start now," he offers, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. His lips press softly to mine, and I'm consumed by our kiss.

Quickly, it turns from a comforting kiss to something much more passionate. Alexander pushes me down, laying his body across mine. We break apart to catch our breath and the look in his eyes makes my heart skip a beat.

Our clothes come off soon after, and though I should be getting rest before tomorrow, we do everything but. I savor these moments, remembering that this is what I'll be fighting to come back to.

When we wake up the next morning after minimal sleep, the entire mood in the room has shifted. We both know what comes next. Goodbye.

Alexander tries to make conversation, but I shake my head at him. I can't talk right now. If I do, I may finally break.

Black Crownजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें