"Vanessa?" She heard Owen's voice beside her and she turned her head to face him, smiling weakly at him, "Told you you should've gone to sleep."

"Shut up. What happened anyway?" She asked, closing her eyes for a moment of relief from the bright light.

"You collapsed after being awake for almost 50 hours. If it wasn't for Doctor Sloan being in the right place at the right time you could've sustained serious injuries." He sighed, taking hold of your hand, "We're keeping you here for a bit to make sure you're okay. You're exhausted - you're not getting back to work today."

"No." She groaned, leaning back into her bed, "I want to work." She breathed, pulling back the covers and going to stand up but Owen pulled her arm back, forcing her back into the bed and covering her with the blanket.

"You are staying in bed even if I have to hold you down myself." He demanded sternly, looking into her eyes to show he meant it. She sighed, leaning her head back onto her pillow and closing her eyes.

"Hey is she up ye-" She heard a voice in the doorway and she opened one of her eyes to see who it was. She instantly closed it when she saw it was Mark and pretended to be asleep, causing Owen to chuckle and Mark to smirk while leaning against the door-frame with two coffees in his hands.

"Vanessa everyone knows you're awake." Mark laughed, walking into the room and sitting on the other side of your bed, passing one of the coffees over your head to Owen.

She groaned lightly, opening her eyes and peering over at Mark who was looking down at her with something in his eyes that she couldn't quite place. It made her heart skip a beat and she forced herself to look away, looking toward the ceiling instead.

"I want to get back to work Mark, Owen won't let me get back to work." She moaned, looking at Mark briefly before looking back at the ceiling. 

Both men let out chuckles and she felt Mark touch her shoulder, squeezing it slightly and causing the same electricity coursing through her veins. 

"I agree with your brother." He stated simply, taking his hand off of her shoulder and placing it near her hand, their fingertips brushing against eachother, sending goosebumps down both of their arms.

"No fair - stop ganging up on me." She whined, "What do you even know? You're a plastics surgeon." 

"Still, I know exhaustion when I see it." He chuckled, his fingers moving on top of hers and staying there, the slightest movement to anyone else but it meant infinitely more to the both of them.

"I'm not exhausted." She argued, looking at Owen, "Please let me get up. I'm already going crazy - even more so with you two next to me." She added jokingly, rolling her eyes.

"Hey!" Mark feigned being hurt, placing his other hand over his heart, "Words hurt." 

"Vanessa's mean when she's tired." Owen raised his voice in a sing-song tone on the last word, earning a glare from Vanessa.

"I am not. Now go, both of you." She demanded and Owen took the opportunity - standing up and kissing Vanessa's forehead before leaving the room swiftly.

"Grumpy pants." Mark mumbled loud enough for her to hear. She flung her arm out and hit him, hearing him cry out in fake pain.

"Didn't I tell you to leave?" She turned her head to him and looking into his eyes to convey her point. 

"Eh." He shrugged, "Never one to listen." He propped his feet up on the bed, crossing his ankles and smirking at her.

"Fine." She grumbled, rolling her eyes and turning her head to look at the ceiling - refusing to meet his eyes, "Can I leave already?" She asked, still not looking into Mark's eyes.

"Nope." He said, popping the p.

Vanessa sighed, realising she was still tired. She closed her eyes slowly before remembering Mark sat next to her and opened them again, slowly turning her head to him.

"Tired?" He smirked, continuing to stare into her eyes. She nodded slowly, her eyes drooping before she forced them open again, not wanting to leave Mark alone, "Sleep then." 

She groaned lightly while shaking her head, trying to look anywhere other than the mesmerising blue eyes in front of her. He chuckled, taking his legs off of the bed and resting his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands, bringing his face closer to hers.

"Apparently you caught me." She spoke quietly, her thoughts voicing themselves without her consent, "When I...collapsed - apparently you caught me." 

"Yeah." He whispered simply, still looking at her.

"You weren't even close to me, how did you get there in time?" Her voice was barely audible as she spoke and Mark found it more than adorable. 

"I may have gotten in trouble for sprinting through the corridor." He smiled at her and her heart skipped a beat - or multiple beats as she smiled gently back at him, feeling herself fall to sleep as Mark sat, completely in awe of the woman before him, drifting off to sleep like an angel.

**********************************************************

A/N: I don't really mind this chapter but i dont like it

this whole book is a mess so i'm sorry lol

i don't proofread v often so everything may be all over the place.

Thanks for reading :)