Secret of rumors.

Start from the beginning

“But I am. Happy. I am ecstatic.” Eden chuckled coldly. “Don’t think you know me better for you don’t.”

Maggie didn’t try to stifle the sob that surfaced on her lips and it began to rain down_ faintly, in drizzle.

“Why are you being so pitiless, Eden? This isn’t you.” Maggie shook her head fiercely. “Who did it, Eden? Who did it to you? We are sisters and you must confine in me.”

A footman who must had been out to smoke cigar walked past them into the shed of Ashleyton, but not before casting a wary glance at Eden and a sorry look at Maggie. Clearly, he had eavesdropped a fair share of their conversation.

“Stop being childish, Maggie.” Eden snapped in whisper. “And pray keep your voice down.”

“I won’t.” Maggie cried, wiping her wet eyes. Rain and tears, a crazy unmixable mix. “You are so selfish, Eden. So very selfish.”

“I am not...” Not What? Selfish? But then, Eden was selfish. She felt selfish. Was it too bad to be selfish once in a lifetime? “Please leave me alone.”

Maggie gaped at her in disbelief. Her eyes were bloodshot and her skin too pale. She was practically trembling. “I think I know who has done this….” Maggie whispered, absent-mindedly. “I know who that bastard is.”

Eden narrowed her eyes. “Please do not bias yourself, Maggie. And…and you must not swear like that.”

“Look.” A soft grin tugged at Maggie’s lips between all those tears and dismay. “You still care.”

Eden shrugged frowning, her eyes turned away. “I just don’t want you to assume things.”

“Believe me, Eden_ you know too little of everything to say that.” Maggie whispered reaching for Eden’s hand. Eden didn’t pull back either. “There had been a rumor lately.”

“What rumor?”

“I cannot tell you.” Maggie replied gravely. “He made me promise not to. He made me keep them out of your ears.”

“Who?”

“The man who has led you into this state.” Maggie growled sternly. “We both know who.”

“If you think Mr. Andreas Edwin is_”

“Oh no, Eden.” Maggie shook her head chuckling. “Mr. Edwin is not there in all this. You are. And he is.”

“Maggie, I_”

“Lord Stephen Adelwood it is, isn’t it Eden?”

Eden’s eyes widened in shock and horror.  That her deepest secret had been led out so nudely, that the truth on which whole of her future depended had been exposed to every eye_ it made Eden’s knees go weak.

Her feet buckled underneath her and she had almost collapsed when Maggie held her right by her shoulders. “Eden! Oh my God, Eden, are you alright?”

“What do you know?” Eden mumbled, panicking. “What is the rumor?”

“Please, Eden. Not now. Not here.” Maggie begged, pulling her wet hair off Eden’s face. “You look unwell and it’s raining.”

“No Maggie. Right now, right here.” Eden stated sternly, and left off Maggie’s support. “How much do you know?”

“I have no wish to intervene your secrets Eden. I only know what they all know, knew and no more.” The blonde swallowed. “Only, that when Lord Adelwood reached me out to_ to request keeping you out of this hearsay, I knew that there was something_ more. And bigger.”