Secret of rumors.

Start from the beginning

It was the fourth morning since the night of Lord Adelwood’s engagement and it had never stopped raining all along.

The whole moors and marshes around Hertfordshire had turned into a fierce green as the rain persisted in drenching each and every leaf from each and every tree. The grasses sprung out all over, from dry stones to the cracked slit walls and fences, like strange ideas, every-possible-where.

Earthworms frolicked around silver puddles.

Mosses and lichens seized the rocks like medieval army.

Birds shuddered in their nest.

Wet feathers. Then dry.

It hadn’t rained this morning. But it was about to, considering how gloomy the sky looked_ all grey and mercilessly heavy.

Maggie had just dried out all the washed up dishes and arranged them into the cabinets. It was a thorough morning and at last, she had some time to relax. She sat down on the chair and pulled at the string of her now damp apron, setting it off at the back of the chair to let it dry.

Her hand was sodden and wrinkled after being too long in water.

She was examining her nail cuticles when she felt a familiar shadow walk past the kitchen door towards the service door.

Eden.

Maggie got up from the chair to follow her but then paused.

Should she? Or shouldn’t she?

Transgress?

Her privacy?

She bit her lips in consideration.

Yes she should. She had all rights to.

She pulled herself off the table and exited the kitchen. She saw a rough hint of Eden walking out into the open through the service door. She sped herself after her and was soon out too.

“Eden, wait.” She ran onto the wet grass, avoiding the mud and hopping over the fresh dandelions.

Eden paused.

“Maggie.”

Maggie tried to put up a nervous smile against her insouciance.

“You were going somewhere...”without me?

“A walk.” Eden mumbled nonchalantly. “Down the valley.”

Eden walked a lot these days. A lot and a-lone. Quiet walk across dark greens.

Hours and hours.

A lot and a-lone.

“Oh.” Maggie nodded. “But it might rain soon.”

“It will not.” Eden stated, turning away to go.

Maggie stopped her by hand. “It always does when you say that.”

“Then why don’t you go inside?” Eden frowned.

Maggie’s smile faltered. Hurt seeped into her bright blue orbs. “Eden…”

“Get inside Maggie.” Eden muttered slipping her hand out of Maggie’s hold. “Do not trouble yourself at my cost.”

“And you?”

“I can take care of myself.” Came the cold, dark riposte.

“Eden, do not be like this.” Maggie’s voice cracked. “Please.”

“Like what, Maggie?” Eden countered, with a ironic smile. “Like at peace? Like on my own?”

“Like forlorn.” Maggie blubbered. “Do not pretend you are happy when you are not.”