Chapter 2: Runa the Wise

Date: 842 CE

Location: York, Northumbria

Runa the Wise was a chieftain in eastern Scandinavia who raided a town in another land; York, was what the people there called it. It was a place filled with riches and people who thought they could defeat us, as they did not pay the demand of riches that we asked them. 

Runa the Wise volunteered at the Thing to raid and get the riches they were known to have, along with a few other chieftains, but she was the chosen one, as more sided with her. She had already earned the title Wise for her other raids on far away places that proved hard to win over with her “odd” strategies.

The aforementioned land of York was added to her victories with her “odd” strategies. 

Before Runa and her army set sail, she took up her role as priest and gave the sacrifice of one of her best horses to the gods, for the hope of them giving her a safe trip to York.

When Runa and her army sailed the seas with her ship, she encountered waves that seemed to have monsters in them who rocked the ship. But these monsters did not break the ship as they were not strong enough.

So the ship sailed on, until it reached the land York was said to be a part of. Runa’s map said it would be a days walk from shore, and a days walk it was. There was only forest to get through, so there were no major injuries, only scrapes from some not so happy thorn bushes.

About halfway there, Runa spotted a scout eyeing them from a high up tree, so she climbed up with them and rendered them unable to do their job. Or anything for that matter.

Once they arrived, they were met with many more soldiers than expected, as if they knew they were coming. There must have been another scout. But Runa was expecting this, so she called her soldiers around and told them her slightly altered version of attack.

But as my candle burns low, I realize I must regain my energy and sleep. So I will continue to tell this story of Runa the Wise and how she conquers York once the next day arrives.

Thyra, a Skald of Norway