I wouldn't hear the end of that conversation as the doors were finally opened and we were ushered in by the usual loud hip hop beats. I was part of the ushering team but I chose to stick by Lily the whole night to make sure she didn't feel lost.

"When am I meeting your friends?" she managed to shout over the music.

My friends.
As if I had any these days.
She doesn't need to know the details.

As I opened my mouth to reply her, a familiar face walked up to us with a wide smile plastered on her face. Her baby bump was showing, alerting me of how long it had been since we caught up.

"Raziya! Long time no see," she said, arms wide open for a hug. I hugged her being careful not to squish the baby. I had become a legend at feigning excitement, so with a realistic fake smile plastered on my face, "It's not been that long. This is my friend from work Lily, Lily this is Amber, my life long friend who ditched me." Amber laughed at that as we had formed a habit of joking about it and I joined her.

I'm not joking about that.

As she exchanged pleasantries with Lily, her husband, who also happened to be my friend came and drapped an arm over her shoulders.

"Raz. You never visit. "

You never text.

"Been busy at work. I'll find time and burn down your lunch as we always do with your girl over here."

We all laughed at familiar memories of our bad cooking. He said hi to Lily before they both walked away, hand in hand. There was a slight look of hurt in Lily's eyes that disappeared as she regained her bubbly composure.

What's that about.

"Your friends are married and you're still friend zoning Jabari? "

He's the one friend zoning me.

"Shut up and sit down mocking bird."

"You really have your ornithology cards right."

"You really shape shift from one bird to the next."

She laughed at that and sat down. I did the same, taking off my jacket to secure a seat for Jabari.

"Yo, you don't need to get hypothermia for your friend. Here, use this," she said reaching into her monkey bag to pull out a blue notebook.

I placed it on the empty seat and looked back at her.

"You really have a thing for blue,"

"So do you, for pink," fixing the pink bow I had on my hair.

"Touché,"

My phone beeped and I knew who it was.

Jab: Where you at?
Raz: Inside, you?
Jab: Standing at the back.
Raz: Coming to get you, Don't move.

"I'll be right back,"I shouted over the sound of the band kicking off the praise session. Lily nodded and went on dancing.

I was still in disbelief as I walked to the back to look for him amidst all the hands in the air and unchoreographed dance moves. My height, or rather lack thereof, made it even harder. Luckily he was a 6 foot man with a shiny head. I spotted him and my heart was in my throat. I pulled out what just had to be the most genuine smile I'd given all night long as I reached out to hug him. He pulled me in for a brief embrace and followed me to where we sat.

Lily was in it, completely. She'd let go of her ponytail, rubber band round her wrist as she swayed her hair in sync with her body that moved freely with the beat.