43. Identity revealed

Start from the beginning

...

After returning to Seonmoon that night, he headed straight for the dining hall. He took a few steps through the entrance. "Jae-won. A word please."

Sa-do looked up at him, as did the rest of the Hwarang who all were there for dinner as all the chatter quietened down to a silence as they gave him their curious attention. Sa-do looked like she was about to protest about the huge scene he had just created but the urgency must have shown on his face because she got up and followed him out silently.

He led her all the way to the bridge. It was quiet and no one could come here and eavesdrop on their conversation without being noticed first. "Is everything alright?"

"I need you to do something for me," he said, ignoring her first question and when she remained quiet he continued, "I need you to guard Seon-woo."

Sa-do looked worried as she asked, "why? Is oraboni in danger?"

Ji-dwi nodded. "My mother will definitely be trying to kill him. I already ordered Pa-oh to protect him, but I would like you to do the same too."

"Why would the Queen Dowager suddenly want to kill him when she has been using him to hide your identity till now?" Ji-dwi let out a deep sigh as he told her about Seon-woo's real identity. "He is a Sacred Bone?!" she exclaimed, looking thoroughly dumbfounded and shocked.

"Yes. So that makes him a legitimate heir. And that means my mother is going to try and get rid of him."

Sa-do nodded in understanding as all the pieces started to fit together. "So you want me to what? Follow him?"

"Yes," Ji-dwi agreed, "because I am pretty sure he is going to try and save Ah-ro tomorrow when she and my sister go to visit the shrine of Nam-mo Won Hwa."

Sa-do's eyes widened as she realized that even Ah-ro was involved in all of the Queen's politics. "Alright. I will guard oraboni. Don't worry about it. I won't let anyone touch him or Ah-ro." Ji-dwi eased a little at that. After a few moments of silence, Sa-do remarked, "I know I shouldn't probably say this, but I really hate your mother for the game she is playing."

"I am not very proud, I assure you," he replied spontaneously.

Looking thoughtful, she mused, "but if oraboni is really Hwi-gyeong Gong's son, do you realize that it makes you both-"

"Brothers? I know."

Sa-do narrowed her eyes at him and then shrugged. "I was going to say cousins, but sure. Brothers work as well." There was a teasing grin on her face and even Ji-dwi allowed a small smile at that as his tension melted away gradually in her presence.

...

The next day, as Ji-dwi had predicted, Seon-woo had gone to get Ah-ro out of the Queen's hands and to safety. And as Ji-dwi had predicted, the Queen had sent the head of her royal guard with a few other soldiers to murder him.

Ah-ro almost took an arrow for Seon-woo, but an arrow shot by Sa-do snapped the first one in half. She and Pa-oh immediately rushed to the front, blocking out any further attacks. "Take Ah-ro and go to this address," Sa-do practically ordered, as she shoved a piece of paper in Seon-woo's hands. "Oraboni, stay there until I come and get you," she warned and he nodded, finally snapping out of the momentary shock he had gone into on realizing that Ah-ro had almost died.

...

Ji-dwi went to the palace and revealed himself to every member of the Royal Council, all at once, so his mother couldn't do anything to cover it up.

This was the only way to stop Seon-woo being targeted by assassins. The only way to stop someone else from dying wrongly like Mak-moon and Han-seong. Of course, this was a decision that Sa-do and Seon-woo knew nothing about until long after, when they couldn't stop him or defend him while he did it.

It was something that had to be done however and could no longer be avoided. Ji-dwi was tired of hiding and watching innocent people pay the price with their lives. He was tired of watching this game of tug of war that was happening with the throne. His mother and the Councilors had been so busy in protecting and vying for the royal seat, that they had completely neglected their duties to the people of Silla.

And Ji-dwi had had enough.