Step 2: Gather your bearings.

Start from the beginning

"Where were you going?" a third ANBU from behind questioned.

"...I was uh, just uh, I was working on homework." 

"What kind of homework?"

"And which school?"

"A New York College..." I replied. "And it was a report that my professor gave us on a sample size of people who took sleeping drugs. Civilian people!" I quickly clarified. "Uh...she wanted to see what the correlation was--I mean--if there was a correlation between people who had sleeping disorders versus people who didn't have sleeping disorders."

"And why did your 'professor' request for such a report?"

"To see if we know how to find the answer...uh, with the right equations." 

"And who were these people that were sleeping? Where were you going to conduct this experiment?" Another questioned. 

"It's a hypothetical situation, so the question she posed is a fake one...I think. Something, um, something like uh, using math to solve hypothetical situations. We're not plotting anything nefarious, just doing mathematics."

I don't know how they took that answer. 

"You didn't answer where you were going."

"...uh, I was going to go...figure out the math...behind my professor's scenario."

Silence fell over us. I wonder if my interrogation was over. 

And I quite happen to like where my head was at the moment. Hopefully, I get to leave the situation, injury-free. 

"Clearly, you're a civilian. Your clothes alone don't match any nearby distinct village custom or bear any crest that looks like this." He taps the school symbol on my jacket. 

The leader of the group paused. 

"Right then. Bring her in. We'll get to the bottom of this." 

"Wait, wait, wait, we can talk about this--!" 

No such luck. 

I was violently and aggressively shoved face down and immobilized. I mean, it's also many vs one. 

What? 

Why?

How?

What's going on?

My head is beginning to hurt. What is this situation right now? Why did nobody prepare me for this? I need to wrap my head around...all this...whatever's happening right now.

Unfortunately for me, the ANBU didn't care that I wasn't understanding my situation or give me time to adjust. They hauled me to my feet from my sweatshirt and began walking me away from the clearing. 

Okay, so this is happening now. First, what happened before? How did I get here? 

But I could only remember the incident of me falling from the stairs. 

One fun explanation is that I died. Considering the pain I remember faintly, that might be right. I really hit my head hard on when I fell from the stairs.

Ah, death by impact. Sounds great.

Okay fine. For simplicity's sake, let's say I reincarnated into the Naruto World after my past life died. Then which time am I in? Before the Uchiha Massacre or after? After the Chunin exams? What do I do? 

Oh, that sounds like the beginning of a terrible online quiz. 

"Walk

"Walk." A rough shove propelled me forward but my bound wrists behind me kept me upright. I kept my footing and followed the ANBU in front of me. 

I definitely look suspicious. There's no trying to pretend otherwise. 

*****

*****

Not long after, I was taken through the main gates of Konoha. I looked around, trying to see if I could pinpoint my time. The buildings look a little older and definitely don't look new. 

The escorting ANBU led me to prison and handed me over to the guards. 

"We're handing in a suspected spy. She was found near the eastern border," the ANBU explained briefly. 

"Alright. Thank you for your service," the guards murmured politely. "You." He pointed at my face. "Get going." I was shoved forward. 

While I was left standing awkwardly as they did some paperwork, I tried to see if I could recognize their faces. Maybe I shouldn't have spedrun-watched Naruto...I would have studied harder had I known this was going to happen. 

"Alright. Here are the forms," one of the prison guards replied, pushing me towards his companion. As I walked away, the ANBU team who took me in, promptly left after a little paperwork. 

"You'll be staying in here." The second guard unbound my wrists and shoved me into the cell. Then he locked the door and left. 

"Well then." I looked around. "Fantastic."

First day in this world and I'm already in prison.