I'll Be Home for Christmas . . . I Hope

As we come into the final stretch before Christmas, I realize there is a lot to do to make this a special time. All the hustle and bustle of getting the last minute gifts, the baking, decorating etc. I hope we can all take a moment and reflect on why we have Christmas and that this season can be full of “peace and good cheer towards all men.”

____________________

On December 16th 1992, I boarded a jet in Frankfurt Germany, so I could be home for Christmas. I had been on a four month assignment in Bonn, Germany where we remodeled part of the US embassy. Two other crew members were flying with me and we were anxious to go home.

I snuggled into my business class seat and prepared for the long flight. I always tried to sit by a window because I like to look out when I fly. I love the look of the earth from up in the air; it looks so peaceful and beautiful.

As we began to taxi down to the end of the runway, the plane made a noticeable jerk, and then came to a stop. I turned and said to Mark, one of the guys I was traveling with, “Did you feel that?”

“Course I felt it. It’s like we hit a giant pot hole or something.”

Planes that had been behind us were now going around us. After about ten minutes the pilot spoke over the intercom. “We have a small problem, nothing to worry about. Technicians are on their way to fix it. We should be up and going in a few minutes. Thanks for your patience.”

Ten minutes passed, and then an hour passed. Lots of us asked the flight attendants what was going on, but if they knew, none of them would say.  

The pilot again spoke, “Ladies and gentlemen, I thought I’d give you the latest update and thank you for your patience. The problem looks a little more severe than expected, but the mechanics should have us going before much longer. Again, thanks for your patience.”

Another hour passed, and then another hour and another hour. After waiting for four hours and fifteen minutes, buses showed up and all of us got on board the buses and were taken back to the terminal to a large meeting room. By that time, the flights across the Atlantic had all departed. A spokesman for the airline announced: “It appears that part of the landing gear collapsed on the plane. It’s a simple repair, but the closest part is at the Boeing plant is Seattle, Washington! We have called every airport in Europe and no one has the spare part. We will put everyone up at the Sheraton Hotel across the street. We apologize for your delays. Boeing is flying a new plane with the part we need as we speak. We will rebook everyone on the new plane tomorrow, or please see me if your booking plans have changed.”

The next day, at least ninety percent of the passengers and all the crew members were from the ill-fated plane. We pushed back from the terminal and the flight attendants did their safety demonstrations. The plane began the long taxi to the end of the runway but then stopped short. People groaned, and I heard things like, “Not again,” and “What the heck is going on?” “Hello again from the cockpit. Don’t be alarmed, there is nothing wrong with this plane. However, there are very strong headwinds over the Atlantic and we are not permitted to leave until the winds calm down. We don’t expect to be here long. In the meantime, feel free to move about the cabin.”

After two hours the pilot came back on the intercom. “I thought I’d give you an update as to what’s happening. The winds are still strong so we get to sit for a while longer. In the meantime, our engines are running and we are ready. We won’t serve any food or drink, because when the tower gives us the green light, we expect to take off. I’ll keep you further updated when I hear anything.”

After being stationary for a total of four long hours, the plane began to move and the pilot came on the intercom, “Everyone take your seats and buckle up, we are on our way to New York City.” Cheers erupted from all over the cabin.