Which Nat?

I've always been fascinated by the Great Plague of 1665, ever since we did it in history class last year. It has always puzzled me how nobody was certain of what was causing the horrible boils that were the reason for thousands of deaths across the country. The only problem is, is that we might never know why.

Wednesday 7th November. This was the date of the most exciting opportunity that has ever been given to me. The date where I found out I was going to place where it all started.

Skipping down the road to my house, I was bursting to tell my Mum that I was going to visit St-Giles-In-The-Fields, with my best friend Willow too. Buzzing with excitement, I fiddled with the key in the lock to open the door to my house. As my hand was shaking it took ages to open the front door. Finally, the lock clicked and I was able to show my excitement to the rest of my family.

"Mum, Mum, guess what? I'm going to St-Giles-In-The-Fields," I exclaimed, too excited to even say hello or tell her how my day had been.

"Calm down Natasha," she almost whispered, but her voice was not full of warmth, it was quite stern. I guess she wasn't in the best of moods.

"I-am-going-to- St-Giles-In-The-Fields," I pronounced sarcastically. How could she put such a down on my happy mood?

"Natasha, don't take that tone with me, now, tell me properly if it's that important to you, I'm not going to listen if you keep being so rude, I'm not one of your friends you know," she replied severely. Wow, she really was in a bad mood. I'd better be nice to her or she won't let me go, after all, the trip is quite expensive.

"Okay, I've been given the chance to visit St-Giles-In-The-Fields, the village where the Great Plague first came to Britain. I would be going with school and we are going to visit the museum there, which is the most detailed, precise and informative place in the whole world for information on the plague. May I go please?" I explained politely. I said it quite dramatically but slow so she could understand. I really didn't want to baffle her in my fast flowing excitement.

"Natasha..." she mumbled. There was a long pause. She wasn't going to let me go, I could tell be her face. Just I was about to turn around and walk away in a strop, she spoke again. "Natasha there is a bit of bad news I'm going to have to tell you," she started. See, I knew I wouldn't be able to go. "Natasha, look at me, we can't afford to pay for you to go on this trip right now," she sort of finished, yet I butted in, not wanting my dream to be shredded into tiny pieces like a smashed window.

"Why Mum, I mean, I'll pay some..." I interrupted, but before I could finish she played my trick on me and stopped me mid-sentence.

"Natasha, I lost my job today, that a good enough excuse for you? You know, you can't have everything you want to, no matter how important it is, however if you really want to go, ring you Dad, I'm sure he would be very pleased to pay for this," she snapped rather viciously. Stunned at her sudden outbreak of anger and also the awful news, I looked into her eyes ready to give her the most horrible glare I could, but was shocked to find her eyes were like two big watery lakes, swimming with tears, ready to cry. Maybe I was a little but harsh on her, its not like it was her fault she lost her job so I couldn't go. Yet on the other hand, why did she have to ruin my amazing time of happiness. To be honest, I wish I never asked her, because now, I will be in a bad mood all week. One option left, even if its hope the size of an ant. I was worth resorting to the thing I dreaded most. Asking Dad. I had a back up plan. If he reacted badly, I would make up some silly excuse saying how I can't go to his house next weekend. I'll say I'm ill or something. Got to go to a friend's house. The excuses were endless.

When I started to dial the numbers, my hand was shaking. Although this time, my clumsiness was from fear of disappointment, not excitement. As the phone rang, my heart was drumming. I remember last time. I needed a top up on my phone, and well, he didn't want to do it did he. He was wondering why I rang him for credit but no other time. I suppose I was in the wrong there, but he could ring me too, not everything has to be put on me.  I heard the familiar voice answer the endless ringing.