Chapter 2

Not knowing what to say to him makes me look like an idiot just looking at me. I didn't think he would say yes but clearly even douche bags have manners. Thankfully, my dad comes into the kitchen to save me from having to answer Xavier.

"Scarlett, I thought you were going to head up to your room and get some rest. I know you've had a long drive back home." Dad says to me while coming to stand next to me. Resting my head on his chest while he wraps his arms around me, I simply nod my head. After giving me a kiss on my forehead dad releases me and urges me toward the door. Looking towards Xavier I nod my head at him, trying to say goodnight.

"Wait for me outside the door sparrow, just need to speak to your father for a second." Xavier speaks to me like my dad didn't basically order me back to my bedroom. Ignoring the stare down they both seem to be having with each other I quickly leave the room. Instead of waiting like Xavier wanted and going to my bedroom my dad wanted I make my to the library.

Since I was little the library was always my special place and between the ages of 13 to 18, I would always be in here unless I was at school. Reading always took me to a different space so whatever I was going through, reading would help take my mind of it. Almost as if I had never left, I went straight towards my favourite book, The Girl in the letter. A story about a lady who stumbles across a horrid letter about an unmarried mother and her child being held against their will. Sitting in what used to be my mother's chair I grab the blanket from the top and drab it over my legs. Opening the book, I begin to read getting lost in this book just like I did when I was younger. Time seems to fly by and I only look up from the book when I hear someone cough extremely loudly. Looking up I see none other than Xavier himself standing over me with his signature smirk.

"How long have you been standing there for?" I ask to him. Looking down at his watch he gives a little chuckle before he looks back to me.

"About half an hour. In my defence I did knock, cough and say your name three times. You really get sucked into your books, don't you?" He replies. Blushing of embarrassment from not hearing him come in, I place the book on the side table, finally noticing someone brought me some water as well. Picking up the glass to take a sip I bring my legs closer to my body. Clearing my throat, I look back at him raising my own eyebrow this time.

"You do realise you ignored what I said about staying outside the door." He says in a stern voice. Rolling my eyes at him I let out a little huff.

"A, I not only ignored you I also ignored my dad and b, no one is in charge of me, so no one gets to tell me what to do." Feeling quite irritated with this whole night. Dad knows I hate these stupid dinners, Xavier has been bossing me around all night and no one will tell me anything about what is going on. There is clearly something going on especially if Silvia doesn't know because she knows everything in this house even if she shouldn't. When he doesn't say anything, I throw the blanket off my legs and go to stand. Forgetting I'm in the stupid high heels I lose my balance and start falling towards the ground. Closing my eyes, I give a little squeal of sudden panic. Waiting to hit the ground I find myself confused when I don't feel it. Opening one eye I see two arms around my waist and looking up I see Xavier standing over me. Xavier lifts me so I'm up right, but he doesn't release me. Moving my hands to his chest I am about to push him away when I hear him suck in a breath. Looking up at his face I see the intensity in his eyes.

"Breathe sparrow don't be so scared of me. I promise you I won't hurt you on purpose." He leans down to whisper in my eye. Taking in a deep breath I close my eyes so he can't see why I feel so strange around him. I barely know him for christ sake.

"Open them eyes for me." He whispers again before I feel him move slightly away from my face. Shaking my head, I turn my head to the side. Suddenly Xavier is grabbing my chin and forcing my head upwards. Still keeping my eyes close I refuse to let him see me like this. He makes me feel vulnerable and insecure which I hate.