Huit

The next day, I pick Chan up after classes.

Apparently, even though I wasn't there to comfort him, he was much calmer than he was before, with absolutely no throbbing in my finger.

We walk to the right address, him glancing at me constantly, but not saying a word.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, maybe something shrieking shack like, but instead, I'm greeted with a nice house, modern and pretty, with big windows and what looks like a large yard hidden by a bunch of high bushes.

Chan rings the doorbell and I start playing with the rings on my hands, nervous. I'm really trying to make a good first impression on the people, so I'm a lot more dressed up than I usually am, though I hope they don't mind me wearing a crop top.

The door opens and a middle aged woman stands in the doorway.

She's pretty, with long black hair and almond brown eyes. There are a few wrinkles on her face, but they only add to her charm when she smiles and tells us to come in.

"Which one of you has the condition?", she asks.

"That would be me", Chan says.

"So you're the human of the mix", she asks me, and I nod.

"Cool, I am too. Honey? Come down! The guests have arrived", she calls.

I hear footsteps rushing down the stairs and then a second woman appears, carrying a little boy on her back.

"Chenle, are you wearing shoes inside?", the woman asks.

"Yes, Nayeon", the boy mumbles.

"Take them off", she warns,"we don't want to get dirt over everywhere. And Jeongyeon, why didn't you tell him to take them off? Really, sometimes I feel like I'm watching over a bunch of three year olds."

"That's because you are, eomma", a teenager, who looks to be about 17 walks down the stairs.

"Oh, hi. You must be the newbies Mrs. Patterson wrote about", he says,"I'm Jinyoung, I've been a werewolf for 4 years now."

He offers us both a handshake.

"All of us except for Nayeon eomma are werewolves. Nayeon and Jeongyeon adopted us", he explains,"they adopt werewolves under 18 from all over the country."

"How about we explain this over tea", Nayeon asks, smiling and simultaneously giving Jinyoung the stink eye.

[][][][][]

We sit on the porch out back.

"A werewolf or wolf shifter can get his counterpart with 18. Before that, they're usually closer to their instincts when they shift, so it's easier."

"Closer to their instincts?", I ask.

"Well, basically, the reason you become a werewolf is because your instincts take over, right? And that happens at vulnerable moments. But, if you manage to accept and become closer to your instincts, then you can shift fluidly and more at will. Little kids do this easily, but adults have more of a problem with it. We can teach you how to, though, or better said, Jeongyeon can, so that random, uncontrolled shifts become less and less. But tonight's the full moon"

She looks up at the darkening sky.

"That means that Chan here will turn no matter what. Jeongin, you can make sure he doesn't loose touch with his human side. Because that's your job. You have to make sure neither side takes over, diffuse tension, that sort of thing. Just make sure he doesn't bite anyone, because that's how you got into this mess in the first place."