Chapter 3 - Princess of the Ball

- 18 years before Singularity.

When they arrived at the gala, she was ready. To match her dress, her personal assistant droid had been braiding her hair into a DNA strand, the whole way there. Her father had warned her of the huge crowd to be expected. The press section on the outside began to flash like strobes. Holding her father's hand, they walked up the red carpeted staircase. Towards the middle of the stairs he stopped to wave to the press & random people who stood outside in the rain all day, for a glimpse at a celebrity. Genevieve felt like a celebrity, her dress was like a rainbow of colored lights, under the overcast of dark clouds. When her father finished waving, she curtsies & they finally went up the rest of the flight of stairs. Just before she went in, she looked back to see the quartet enjoying their moment in the spotlight. Sure "Grow Your Own Pets" was her father's idea. They had taken everything he learned to the next level. McTaggart's initial product of hamsters & guinea pigs started the company. But the quartet helped him perfect a varied product line, which included, birds, reptiles, cats, & dogs. So she assumed they deserved their moment, as "rock star" scientists, as much as her father did.

After going through a quick security and medical scan, she took her father's hand again, before entering the ball. As she walked out onto the dais at the top of the stairs, her eyes widened. Below her was a marble staircase with another red carpet leading down to the fountain in the center of the great hall. All around the fountain were men in tuxedos dancing with women in beautiful gowns. Farther out from the center were elaborately decorated & fine linens on tables trimmed with red, white & gold. Finally, 3 bars on each wall kept the glasses full. Then she looked up, & saw a magnificent crystal chandelier with multi-colored lights, alternating in the same colors as her dress. Many people noticed the similarity right away as well and began looking in her direction. She had never had so many people staring at her before. She wondered if this is what Cinderella felt like, before she lost her shoe. She blushed & tightened her grip on her father's hand as they walked down to the main floor.

Then before her, waiting at the landing, was one of the sons of Prince William & Kate. Her father was introducing her to Prince Arthur, heir to the throne of England as her mind lost focus. She wished her mother was there to get her through this. She curtsied & as she looked up into his eyes, he smiled. The prince was smiling at her. She'd seen his picture in the made for tween magazines before, but here he was, smiling at her. He was only a year or two older than her & he looked so handsome & impressive to her with all the medals pinned on his coat. 2 large men stood directly behind him, scanning the room as he began to speak to her. She had missed everything that was just said to her. All she knew is that a prince was holding his hand out to her. Before she knew what she was doing, she placed her hand on his as her father let go of her other hand. With a boyish tug he led her through the crowd, to one of the bars. The whole time, racing between people in fancy dress attire. He laughed as the guards tried to keep up without bumping into anyone. She giggled with delight as they ran together. Pushing past other guests, young Prince Arthur demanded two cherry sodas. Her cheeks were still rosier now from both being the center of attention just moments ago & running.

He offered her the cold soft drink & she took it. Immediately she began sucking on the straw for something to do with her mouth, anything to not have to speak. She was dumbfounded & starstruck & for a moment lost in what felt like the puppy love of a lifetime. She could only look at his eyes & drink. All too soon she had finished her soda and began making noise from the air at the bottom of her glass. She stopped when she realized what she was doing, & belched loudly. Instantly her face turned red & she put her hand to her lips, she was saying "excuse me" with her eyes. The prince could see how embarrassed she was and tried to stifle a laugh, but like her gas, he couldn't stop himself, but from giggling. He finished his soda as well, & let out a burp as loud & long as hers was. They both began to laugh out loud & she finally began to feel less awkward. Looking around she saw the quartet walking down the red & white stairs.