thirty-nine

Madelline drove back to their home with Esme in the passenger seat and the three girls sat behind them. Alice and Rosalie were slowly starting to sober up as they converse with the two in front, meanwhile, Bella was fast asleep beside Alice with her head laid comfortably on the latter's shoulder.

Soon enough, they reached home. Madelline smoothly parked the car in the driveway, immediately killing the engine. She quickly took out the car keys and exited the car, helping Esme with the girls.

Emmett's eyes widened at the sight of the girls and immediately helped his mother and sister by taking his wife's arms and slinging her arm over his shoulder. "Mads! Seriously?" he whined as he guided Rosalie toward the living room.

Edward, Carlisle, and Jasper came into view, eyes widening at the sight of them. Carlisle sent the hybrid a scolding look as he, too, helped his wife with Bella and Alice who was now giggling like teenagers as they whisper among themselves.

"What? I warned them to take it easy," she immediately defended, raising her hands up in surrender.

Edward only chuckled as he adjusted Bella's arm over his shoulder as he scanned Madelline from head to toe. "How about you? Are you not drunk?"

"I have a high tolerance, Eduardo. Now, shoo and help your girlfriend," she swatted him away before nearing Jasper who was patiently waiting by the side, his hands tucked into his pockets. 

He welcomed Madelline with open arms, immediately nuzzling his head against hers, embracing her warmth. "Missed you, darling," he mumbled as he rubbed comforting circles on his girlfriend's shoulders.

"Clingy much?" Madelline teased him before pulling the empath closer to her. "I missed you too. How is he?"

Jasper pulled away and interlaced his fingers against hers, guiding the two of them to their room. "He made up his mind," he answered as their eyes darted to the subject of their conversation who was now seating by the sofa, nursing his girlfriend.

"How have you been?" 

An all too familiar deep voice greeted her the moment she entered Emily's home.

A grin painted her lips at the sight of her favorite shapeshifter. "I've been alright, what about you? Have you been treating Jace well?" she playfully narrowed her eyes at him, causing him to feign innocence and shrug his shoulders.

Jace decided to stay for a little longer and get to know the pack. They allowed him to gain some knowledge about their kind while they train alongside him. Upon knowing that a certain vampire endangers the people, he decided to help around which the pack and Madelline were grateful for.

She hasn't visited Paul for a while as she was busy because of the Cullens' arrival but she intends to spend her remaining free time with them. They started to walk around the woods while catching up with what happened; Madelline told Paul how Jasper does not mind their friendship which surprised the shapeshifter as he was well aware of the other Cullen's reaction. Jasper trusts Madelline and he knew she can handle herself in case one of the pack loses control which was unlikely to happen.