Chapter Thirty-Three: The Wedding (Part One)

You stared at yourself in the mirror. You were wearing the dress you bought earlier, with some (F/C) flats. You had decided not to wear huge, chunky heels like Hoshi. 

"You look great!" Michiko squawked excitedly. She was wearing a beautiful white dress, and she was lifting the veil out of the box. Her bridesmaids were wearing narrow, purple dresses.

Immediately some hair stylists swooped in on you and began working at your (H/C) locks. Soon, you had a (Favorite Fancy Hairstyle). "Thanks, it looks incredible," you said, partly since it was true, and partly since one of them was holding a hot iron thing that looked like it could kill you.

The hair stylists moved onto Hoshi, who was already being attacked by makeup artists. It wasn't long until they turned to you.

"Um, I'm fine, thanks," you said, laughing nervously.

"Nonsense! You need to look perfect," one of them said, whipping out a some black pen. "Don't you admire her pretty face?" another said, clapping her hands together. "We'll just make it very casual," he first one assured you.

You were pretty satisfied with your lit - up cheeks and a bit of lip gloss. 

"Okay, time to go," Michiko announced, and all the stylists and bridesmaids began chattering excitedly. They trickled out of the room, and Hoshi followed them.

You sat in the living room, alone. Your father had already left earlier. You got up and walked upstairs and into your room.

There, you lifted the star necklace out of its box, and put it around your neck.

* * *

The wedding was hosted at some expensive, exclusive country club. The ceremony part was outside on a huge stretch of grass, surrounded by cherry blossom trees. Up on a hill was the building, where the party was going to be. 

You were sitting in the crowd in the front row next to Hoshi. She stared at her mom the whole time, her eyes emotionless.

After Michiko and your dad said their vows, they kissed. You didn't know what to feel. You were mostly proud and happy, but inside, you felt a little broken. From now on, your mother, killed by Callaghan, would never be part of your dad's life again.

* * *

The ballroom inside was huge. Little, fancy tables surrounded a dance floor, which was packed with people. It was dim inside, and music played loudly.

You sat at a table alone, eating cheese cubes and crackers. You didn't feel like dancing. On the other hand, some adult found glow sticks and it became the new craze on the dance floor.

It was way too crowded.

You stood up and slipped out one of the side doors. It led to some large balcony, overlooking the golf course, dotted with trees. The sun sank behind the lake, which was glimmering and rippling. It really was pretty. Some cafe tables were set up around the balcony, for people who wanted a quiet place to eat. The place was empty.

Suddenly, the doors opened, and you spun around. It was Hoshi. "Hi," she said softly.

You nodded politely. 

"I wanted to tell you this before," she said, coming over to the railing beside you. "But I never got the chance to.

"I(Y/N). I've looked back on what I did in the past to you. It was stupid of me. I did it since I was jealous," she confessed.

You stared at her blankly.

"I was jealous of the fact you were really smart. And athletic. I wanted to be just like you, but my. . . I mean, our mother said it wasn't ladylike at all. She didn't let me practice karate. She didn't let me kick a soccer ball around the backyard. It was always 'try on makeup' or 'practice violin' or something like that." Hoshi's eyes were watery as she stared out at the golf course.

"And how Hiro really loves you," she continued. "Kano doesn't love me at all. He just uses me for my money. I was so stupid to think he would like an idiot like me. I realized this weeks ago, so I broke up with him. Well, he technically broke up with me. Anyways, I guess I'm some love expert- which I'm not- since Hiro asked me something after visiting you. He asked me 'how do you know if you love a girl.'" Hoshi laughed shakily. "I told him he should already know inside. He was grateful, I guess."

She turned to you. "I want to apologize for everything. . . and have you accept me as your sister." 

"Hoshi," was all you said. 

She swallowed, scattering tears across her face.

You stepped forward and hugged her. "It's okay," you finally said. 

Hoshi smiled through her tears. "Thanks."

You laughed. "I hear the band playing songs from the '80s. That means you should stop. . . our parents before they start dancing."

"Right," Hoshi agreed, a smile spreading across her face.

* * *