Chapter Sixteen: Hiro < Tadashi

Tadashi looked away. "You can come over to my lab if you need anything," he said cheerfully, and walked out of the room. 

You stared around the empty room, deciding what should go where. Suddenly, the door swung open, and Hiro stormed in. 

"What did he say?" he demanded, pointing a finger at you.

"What?" You sat down on the window seat and stared out at San Fransokyo. 

"Tadashi," Hiro responded, his voice stiff. "I never get to hang out with you guys. I'm a third wheel."

"What's the big deal?" You glanced at him with your eyebrow raised. "It's not my- or his - fault that you always act so rude around me." You slid off the seat and walked over to him, glaring. "There's a reason I don't want to hang around you."

Hiro shot you a cold look, and for a second you thought he was actually going to punch you or something. 

The door opened again, and Tadashi stepped in. "Hey, (Y/N), Hiro! It's lunchtime."

Hiro glared at you one last time, then shoved Tadashi out of the way as he left. Tadashi's face fell. "What's with him?"

"It'll be okay," you replied. "I think."

Tadashi's face brightened again. "Come on. I want to introduce you to my friends."

* * *

After a quick introduction of Fred, Honey Lemon, Wasabi, and Gogo, all seven of you sat down at a corner table. You bought a (Favorite Food) and sat down between Tadashi and Gogo.

"Sooo, (Y/N), got any crushes yet?" Fred teased, gulping down a can of Coke. 

"Fred, this is her first day," Honey Lemon reminded gently, poking a straw into her strawberry smoothie.

"That's long enough," Fred pointed out. "Besides, look at her. Her face is red."

Of course, all eyes at the table turned to you. You looked down at your lap. "That's not true," you mumbled, relieved the cap's brim was hiding your burning face.

"So, who is it?" Fred pressed. "Tadashi. . . or Hiro?"

Out of the corner of your eye, you saw Tadashi widen his eyes in embarrassment, but Hiro just scoffed and shoved another fry into his mouth. 

"This is ridiculous," Hiro said. He stood up, scraping his chair back. "I'm leaving."

"Hiro, wait," Tadashi grabbed his arm.

Hiro yanked his arm free, and gave the group a deadly glare. Then he turned and left the cafeteria. 

"What has gotten into him?" Tadashi murmured, staring at the spot where his brother once stood. You felt guilty for some reason. 

"I'm a terrible big brother," Tadashi continued, his voice full of hurt.

"Tadashi, stop. That's not true," Wasabi piped up. 

Your feelings of guilt turned to frustration. Why did Hiro have to make things so complicated? "Tadashi, you're the big brother everyone wants. Don't beat yourself up," you pleaded.

Tadashi stared miserably at his plate of alfredo.

"I'll go after him," you volunteered, and ran off before anyone could object.

You found Hiro in his lab, throwing tools around angrily. "Hiro," you said.

"Oh. It's you," Hiro gave you a icy look.

"Hiro, what is your deal?" you snapped. "Can't anyone have a decent time when you're there?" You put your hands on his desk and stared down at him. He glared right back up at you, huddled in his chair. "I can't believe you're acting like this after I helped you with your bot fight. You're upsetting Tadashi," you added hastily. 

"Oh, I should have known it was Tadashi," Hiro sneered, walking around the desk to stand in front of you. "It's always my brother."

"No, it's not!" you protested. "Besides, I need to find out why you're so mean to everyone all of the sudden."

"Well, you can stop," Hiro shot back. "Face it, (Y/N). You're nothing more than a rich snob girl who's all alone. Just go back to Tadashi, will you?"

Even though you could think of a better comeback, the insult stung. You were silent.

"Typical," Hiro muttered, turning away to pull out bot materials. "Now leave me alone." A moment of silence passed, and he turned around, expecting to see you walking away. But you were standing there in front of him, your eyes glistening. Sure, you could beat up a muscular, full-grown man, but one insult from someone (not including Hoshi) and you would cry.

Hiro stared at you, wide-eyed, as a tear traced its way down your cheek. "Are you okay?" he asked, standing up and walking over to you. He reached out to you, but you slapped his hand away. You wiped your eyes and glared at him. "I'm fine." 

Hiro's face hardened again, and he stepped away. "I hope Tadashi fixed the necklace I broke," he spat. 

"At least he's actually friendly most of the time," you muttered, turning away. You opened the door and left the lab, only to bump into Tadashi. 

"What did he say?" Tadashi stared at the door.

You didn't reply, just swallowed the lump in your throat. Tadashi's face filled with understanding, and he hugged you. "I'm sorry," he said quietly. 

* * *

Why are you so mean Hiro :'(

~Clover