♧ Redemption | Norton Campbell ¤

Start from the beginning

It was when you were suddenly fitted in a wedding dress that you realized it wasn't a rehearsal you were going to attend to- rather an actual wedding. Your wedding. Remembering the scene all too well, the bells that rung along with laughter and whispers of guests alike were turned into quiet screams as the only thing left inside your mind was to run, run away as the future you were pampered to be in was suddenly shattered as the layers of white pearl silk hung with a cut string. All eyes upon the realization of terror, you had never felt such distress, such betrayal. Were they really that restless as to trick their own only daughter to wed a stranger? Have they lost all their memories of their beloved child that once awaited them to get home safe? What happened? Are these memories just an act till the day you were old enough to sold?

Unfortunately it seems so...

Still fresh, the cut that sliced through an open heart was a wound still in the process of healing. Was it selfish to run away? To want a future you are able to be free, to have the decision of deciding for yourself? Your knees tempted to buckled at the thought, but knowing all well someone else was looking, you regained composure, one that was taught to you at a ripe age.

"Work?" Norton set the freshly cooked bacon in the center of the table, eyes darting between the plates he set down, towards the clenched state of your hands. He knew what had happened between you and the parents, the thought of having to go through it only angers him. Truth be told, the very night he found you right at his doorstep, he was allured by the trickle of tears staining a face he could only describe as beautiful. You were still running away from the people who your parents hired, the white silk stained as the rain enhanced the solemn look that plastered on your face. He had never wanted to help someone as much as you.

"Mhm, I have to be there early. I'm covering for Emma today, and along with working for Demi, I may come home a little later than usual. I hope you don't mind," you focused on the empty plate just in between your elbows that were propped on the table, hands rubbing the metal fork that contained the bacon. You looked back at Norton, and as expected, his expression only revealed distaste, eyebrows furrowed as he slightly crunched his face.

"Of course I mind! Are you not tired? You already have two jobs, one making you come in before seven and one letting you stay until two in the morning. When you come home, you still need about an hour before coming to bed-" he paused, the worry in his eyes reflected like a mirror. "I told you, it's fine to take a break sometimes. There's no need to exhaust yourself until passing out. If you are worried about the rent, don't be, my job already covers all of it anyways-"

"Norton please," you cut him off, though silence only a brief moment, but enough to send the tingles of guilt. "I...I have been a burden for far too much. You already gave me somewhere to stay, somewhere I can finally live a life I want. Please, let me repay you even if it's just helping with getting more money."

With a final sigh, the sweet release of stress exits from his lips, eyes straining away from your own. Reluctant and undeniably worried, Norton could only let you go and let you continue this tiresome path. It wasn't like he didn't care, rather the pushy stubbornness that refused to listen despite his warnings of the risks continued to strive even in harsh situations. It would get you killed one day, and it frightens him to the core. It was like this almost every morning, the same conversation of the runaway bride going to exhaust herself for the sake of payment despite his detests and reassurance. It never came to the point of a combusting argument, but it always did end rather bittersweet, as in truth it was never a malicious intent between parties; one being guilty enough to keep trying repay a dept she was already assured was paid.

Combing through the obsidian strands of his hair, Norton watched as you finished up your plate, taking his and returning to the kitchen to wash the remaining dishes. All he sees is a woman with a shattered past, one that was difficult to heal. But between those pitiful situations, he saw a beauty underneath solemn eyes, one he promised to himself would free from restraints of a sensitive past. He wanted to see you smile, a genuine one, as the woman he loved was still in despair...