epilogue: celestial spotlight

3 months later

Jamie is with Alex, Talia, Aarush, Meili, and the rest of the film crew in his and Talia's apartment. They're all spread out comfortably – Alex is relaxed on the couch leaning back into Jamie's chest, Talia is sitting on the floor with Aarush's arm around her, and Meili is on the arm of the couch next to Jamie, stealing excited glances at Alex.

"I'm so happy Alex is your boyfriend! You're so cute together," she hisses excitedly into Jamie's ear. Jamie tilts his head up at her in thanks, beaming.

Talia gets up and shushes everyone. "I just want to thank you all for all your hard work on this film. It means so much to me, I can't even express my gratitude... I hope you enjoy what we created together." Everyone claps as she presses play on the TV remote.

As the opening sequence starts playing, Jamie intertwines his fingers with Alex's. Jamie is nervous to see himself on screen, but he knows that he is surrounded by his film family, who supported Jamie throughout it all, not blinking an eye when he returned to set after his fight with Talia.

Jamie silently watches the screen. He becomes enamored with Alex's character, Max, who is handsome and bold and charismatic, but also broken and hurting. He watches Max's spiraled descent into drinking, highlighted by Talia's realistic cinematography. At the tender scenes between Les and Max, he closes his eyes and buries his face into Alex's hair, listening to the soft notes of background music and choosing to relive Alex's warm touches in his head instead of watching them on video. He feels the atmosphere around everyone shift from bawdy hoots during Max and Les's longing glances to subdued silence during Max's self-destructive scenes.

When the film ends, transitioning into the credits, the entire crew erupts into boisterous applause. They collect into a messy group hug, everyone talking over each other, discussing their favorite parts and reviving funny anecdotes from filming.

Their Thai food delivery order arrives, and the group swarms around the dining table, spreading out the selections and sauces. Talia lingers on the outskirts, and then sneaks away. Jamie spots her standing out on their balcony, her long hair streaming down to her waist as she leans over the edge of the railing.

Jamie gives Alex a quick kiss on the cheek, then pulls away to join Talia outside. Before letting Jamie go, Alex bends down to bite the curve of Jamie's ear suggestively and whispers in his ear, "I couldn't keep my eyes off you in the film. You were amazing."

Jamie feels a sizzle course throughout his body, like he's a supernova giving off brilliant light. But instead of a star ending its existence in a vast explosion, he's feels only just beginning his journey.

After Jamie slides open the glass door to the balcony and steps outside, he gives Alex a loaded look, one that promises later he will show Alex just how appreciative he is of his sweet compliments.

"What do you think Dad would have thought of it?" Talia asks Jamie, fiddling with the bracelets on her wrists until one accidentally falls off and settles into the shrubs below. Jamie reaches his hand out to still her movement.

"I don't know," Jamie replies honestly. "The older we get, the more difficult it becomes for me to imagine how he would react to things, or what he would say. It's even harder now that I feel I didn't really know him entirely in the first place."

Talia is silent, musing over this. Jamie covers her hand with his and grasps it firmly.

"You should be incredibly proud, Tal. I am. Everyone is. When Mom comes next week to watch the formal screening, she will be, too," Jamie says. Talia gives him a watery smile and leans into him.

"I needed the film," she says quietly. "It allowed me to face my feelings about the past... be more honest with you." Her lips quirk into a grin as she adds, "And it brought Alex to you, which you should forever be indebted to me for."

Jamie uses his hip to knock her over to the side.

"Yeah, okay, whatever. Don't get a big head about it," Jamie says.

"While we're on Alex as a topic, can we work out a system for you to let me know ahead of time when you two will be occupying the apartment so I can know not to be home? Do you have a ballpark idea of a schedule or something–"

Jamie cuts her off, clamping his hands over his ears in embarrassment.

"Oh, come on," Talia rolls her eyes. "We've all seen everything already." She gestures to the TV and the crew through the glass balcony door.

"Not everything!" Jamie hisses, his eyes widening, and Talia laughs with her eyes crinkled shut. A second later, Jamie can't help but eventually join in with her infectious laughter.

Alex peeks at Jamie and Talia through the door and gives them a fond smile. At the sight, Jamie feels bubbles of happiness float in his chest. This moment is the culmination of heartache and desire, loss and love, each emotion shifting into the next like a planetary object crossing over the meridian for its celestial spotlight above the horizon. Jamie welcomes all phases with open arms. He is loved, and belongs, and that will always be enough.