A quiet revelation

Start from the beginning

After I first started training, I burned the diamond onto my brow as a representation of my vow to control my magic in order to protect my family. I have also matured considerably in mind as well. Though I am still seventeen, I have seen and accepted many of the world's truths and gained much life experience living in the wilderness.

My magic, I learned eventually, that while the two contradicting fires seemed to be one and the same, they are actually not. They appeared to be in sort of forced coalescence, trying to be apart but unable to, even if they tempered each other perfectly.

As an excercise of control about a year ago, I made a sword using my magic and materials I bartered for in the little town at the foot of this mountain. I put in great effort and time making it, and eventually finished with it, having created an ornate, one handed estoc to use with or without my magic. (An estoc is a light-weight long sword designed for piercing instead of slashing but still has the capability to do so.)

I shook myself from internal ramblings

I shook myself from internal ramblings. It was the small hours of the morning, the moon and stars still shining brightly. I was unable to sleep, so I chose the look at the sky, letting my thoughts wander to my family and the friends I left behind. A thought had occurred to me that spurred me into action. My control of my magic was near perfect, and I am confident in my ability  to stay within the margins of balance, so why couldn't I just go back home?

Nothing was stopping me, was my answer to myself, so I began gather my meagre belongings into the same bag I left with two years ago. I had outgrown the clothing I had brought with me when I first arrived, so I had purchased some clothing a time ago at the small town below the mountain.

I now wore a heavy red tunic with ties in the front, the sleeves falling in a tattered edge just above my wrist. The pants I wore now were a tanned leather, lined with a heavy cotton to keep warm. I wore practical leather boots, lined with sheepskin to prevent frostbite in the bitter seasons of these mountains.

My favorite pieces I wore however was my sword and an ankle length, animal skin, sheepskin lined, trench coat. The coat was a dark brown, the sheepskin collar protecting my exposed neck.

While I was less affected by extreme temperatures due to my magic, I still felt the harsh bite of winter. So having a warm leather duster around was of great use to me.

My hair also served to keep me warm. I had very long silken black hair that grew back unnaturally fast. I would cut it, and then the next day it would be down to my butt again. So I had taken to wearing it in a tight French braid when it was warm enough to keep it out of the way, otherwise it would be left loose.

I brought out my grimoire, and summoned a broom of hot black fire to warm me on the trek through the mountain range in the early hours of the morning.

It was time to head home.

***

Time Skip: Eight Hours Later

Fuegoleon's Point of View

I was reading a book in the study called The Theoretical Intricacies of Spacial Magic, when I was interrupted by a maid frantically opening the door, eyes darting around the piles of books until she found me.

"Master Fuegoleon, you have a very important guest. Excuse my rudeness, but please come to the foyer immediately." The maid hastily stumbled out. I furrowed my brows in confusion, but clapped my book shut, standing up to follow the maid who was already aiming the leave the room.

We walked at a brisk pace through the mansion, winding and weaving through the ornate halls until we reached the foyer, only a short distance from the main entrance. I had many unanswered questions swirling about my brain until I saw her.

My eyes widened and my spine went pin straight from shock. My twin sister, Leocadia, was right there in front of me. She hadn't spotted me yet and was sipping tea calmly while looking out the window, observing the tittering birds in the lush garden behind the house.

Her long, inky black hair was French braided tightly down her back, save for a few wind-swept locks framing her face. She had grown and filled out, no longer a girl of fifteen. Her amethyst eyes, rimmed with the markings of our family, were sagely and she had the same burned diamond on her forehead as I. She wore the practical garb of a commoner; a red long sleeved tunic, thick leather pants, and a pair of brown leather boots.

I could see she seemed different. As if she was old and wise, serene in her countenance. It was then that she finally noticed me. She blinked a me before a small smile rose to her lips, her eyes crinkling slightly.

"Hey there, shorty." Were her first words to me in TWO YEARS. I sighed heavily at that before sending her a bright grin and sat on the couch to give her a big squeeze.

"Hey, Cade." I whispered. I was really happy that she was home.

Hope you liked it!

Please vote and comment. <3