49» That Hesitation

Start from the beginning

"I really can't, okay?" He stated the words slowly and carefully, making sure to give a slight pause after every word. As if he somehow wanted to imprint those words deep in my head.

"Why can't you?"

"She's only going to worry. You know that." He narrowed his gaze at me as if he couldn't believe I was even asking him that.

"Why do you work for him then?" I asked him. "Do you like working for him?"

The look of disbelief didn't leave his face. "I can't not work for him. I owe him a lot."

He must've known what was coming next.

"Why do you owe him?"

"You ask a lot of questions, don't you think?" He asked before leaning closer and placing his head, face down against the side of my bed. Now, I couldn't even see his face.

"And you dodge them off mostly." I rolled my eyes. "What do you even do for him? Sell drugs?"

He just let out a sound that sounded like a muffled groan.

"Or," I continued since he clearly wasn't speaking now. "He asks you to physically harm random people and you do that."

Luca buried his head deeper into the bed, messing up his hair even further.

"What do you do with the dead bodies?" I asked him, trying to get him to speak. I didn't want him to just ignore all my questions.

He let out another groan. This time however, I was a little surprised as to how...painful it sounded.

"Is that why you had a gun? Do you just shoot them?" I asked, training my eyes over his head.

When he made no move to say anything, I reached out and gently touched his hair with the tips of my fingers. He didn't jerk back from the touch, something I was expecting him to do.

"I never thought of you as the...violent type." I whispered, loving the feel of his hair against my fingers. "You've really changed a lot."

He still didn't say anything which slowly increased the uneasiness in my stomach. I told him everything. Every single thing. Why was he refraining from telling me then?

Maybe he really didn't trust me. After those two years–

When my fingers accidentally touched the starting of his neck, he jerked forward and ended up hissing in pain.

I frowned then. Because something was clearly wrong.

But before I could've figured it out, the door burst open and I immediately pulled back my hand. I looked up and saw Alice and a very jumpy Frost in her hands.

"Woah, wait up!" Soon enough Frost had slid out of her hands before jumping up on my bed and on me.

"Frost." I crossed my legs and took him in my arms as he barked happily. Now that he was in my hands, I realized how much I had actually missed him. The way he was nudging my arm with his small black nose, it told me that the feeling was mutual.

"He was sulking his ass off." Alice spoke up before coming over towards the bed. She was wearing a bright yellow T-shirt with equally vibrant sneakers. I think I loved her choice of colors.

Way better than just white.

Slowly, her eyes lowered over towards Luca who still had his face down on the bed.