Chapter 4 • "Is Tom Seeing Someone?"

***
"So you just like him because he's Spider-Man?" - Haley, 2019
***

Flashback

"You're leaving BRIT School?" Tom asked, his fingers running around Haley's palm, just like he always does. His arms were wrapped around her as they lay on the comfortable couch in Tom's home.

"Yeah, to go to a real college, like what my dad says. You know, like Finance or something. Just business school." Despite her protests, Haley couldn't sway her father's attempt to pull her out of her beloved school, claiming that she has better future in taking over the family's business rather than performing in front of an audience.

Tom sighed, "Does that mean you have to leave me, too?" The sadness in Tom's voice wasn't very subtle and it only upset Haley, but she knew just how to turn that around.

Haley sat up and looked at Tom, "Of course not, baby, I let my dad pull me out of BRIT School but in one condition." Tom's ears perked at that, anticipating her every word. "I will go to business school here in London, at least then we can still see each other and it's not a thousand miles away."

Tom grinned at the news and instantly placed a quick kiss on his girlfriend's lips. "Oh God, I love you so much." Tom kissed Haley again, but deeply and more passionate this time. Haley didn't hesitate to kiss back.

Haley was happy then, the happiest she's ever been, and with Tom. She knew that moment on, that he will be the guy she's going to be spending the rest of her life with, at 18. But what did 18-year olds know?

--

Haley, Tom, Jenna, and Harrison, were already at dinner, and as much as Haley tried to distance herself from her former lover, being around with each other couldn't be helped since they're both there for one reason only, their best friends' wedding planning.

The wedding coordinator has been talking to the couple for the last hour so Haley and Tom have been neglected in the back. He was on his phone and she was getting bored. "Whatcha doin'?"

Tom looked at Haley weirdly, "You didn't just say that."

"I just want to make small talk." She shrugged, crossing her arms. Haley looked away from the Brit.

"I'm busy."

"What? Playing on your phone?"

"Yes." Seriously? Haley thought. She rolled her eyes at his lame attempt to ignore her.

"You can't seriously ignore me forever, we kinda have to work together given my best friend is getting married to your best friend.

"He was your best friend, too." That shut Haley up. "Harrison, he was your best friend, too. Or did you leave it all behind as well? Completely forgotten you've ever known him?" Haley was just playing around but suddenly Tom started attacking her. She doesn't blame him, though.

Haley's heart broke when he said those things. Harrison was indeed her best friend but she didn't just leave Tom behind, she left Harrison, too. She knew Tom was mad at her, but she didn't realize he was still this mad even after three years.

"Look I-"

"Save it, Haley. I just want Harrison to be happy, that's why I haven't left yet, so I'd really appreciate it if you give me some space and we only talk when needed to, okay?" Tom requested, more like demanded, before turning back to his phone.

"Okay, I'm sorry." Haley moved away from Tom, as far as she could, tending to his request.

Tom didn't mean to be rude, he's never rude to anyone, actually, but seeing her after three years brought back memories, and mostly the bad ones. Time might've passed but he was still hurt like it was just yesterday.

"Haley!" Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard Jenna call her. She looked at Harrison, someone who hasn't talked to her since they landed in Bali and frankly enough, she's also not surprised.  "We're going to the wedding venue, you coming?"

"Yeah of course."

The five of them walked to the venue when suddenly, Lisa, the wedding coordinator walks up to Haley. "Hi Haley!"

"Oh hey Lisa! Jenna's not stressing you, is she?" Haley chuckles.

"Oh no! Not at all. She's pretty nice talking to, makes my job a bit easier."

"She is, isn't she? She knows what she wants. So what can I help you with?"

Lisa cleared her throat before looking behind her. "Well uh, this is a little unprofessional, I hope you don't mind. I can't ask Harrison or Jenna about it so I figured, I'd ask you instead."

"What is it?"

"Do you know if Tom's seeing someone?"

That made Haley stop in her tracks, making Lisa stop herself. "That's a bit forward, isn't it? I'm overstepping, I'm so sorry."

"No! No, it's uh, uhm, you like him?"

"He's really cute, and come on, he's Spider-Man."

"So you just like him because he's Spider-Man?" Wow, this woman, Haley thought.

"No! That wasn't-"

"Then what is it? You just said he's Spider-Man."

Haley didn't know why she suddenly got irritated. She knew not to be affected anymore given that she and Tom have already broken up years ago.

"I thought he was cute and he's a really great Spider-Man, I admire him for his work, but me liking him is not because of his fame, if that's what you're thinking."

That's when Haley realized what she was doing. She was acting like a complete jealous and possessive girlfriend, when in reality, she's nothing to him anymore.

"I'm sorry, Lisa. Uh, I actually don't know if he's seeing someone. We're not that close." At least not anymore. "But if he is, it's probably going to be on the news, right?"

"Yeah, you're right. Sorry if I was a little too forward."

"No worries, I guess I kind of just overreacted a little bit because he's a really nice guy. Go for it, Lisa."

Lisa smiled at Haley, "Thank you. I'll go over there right now." With that, she walked away and rushed over to Tom.

Haley saw the way Lisa was flirting with Tom and she couldn't help but feel uneasy. It was her fault anyway, she thought, she had him but she messed everything up.

---