I waved it off. "No problem. Your life was more important anyways. Don't worry about it."

She thanked me and her cellphone rang. Ingrid looked at the caller, listened to the other end, and told me that she had to get home. I waved goodbye and she thanked me over and over again, telling me that if I ever needed a favor, to just come down to Thatcher's Chocolate Shop if I needed anything.

While I was walking home, I saw a few rain drops fall down from the sky. The clouds rolled in quickly and before I knew it, I was running towards the gym with my bag over my head.

It was empty and dark, with only a few lights coming from the back.

I walked in quietly and heard some grunts from the back. When I went over, I saw Ryder punching away furiously at the tall bag.

His back glistened with sweat and his tan, toned body made me feel woozy. His stance was perfect, his aim good, and the muscles in his arms flexed with each throw.

I unfortunately broke away my gaze and studied him for a few more minutes before speaking.

"Mind if I join you?" I asked.

He spun around quickly and his eyes widened at the sight of me. I tried not to let my gaze fall to his tight abdomen and abs, but it was hard to resist.

He smirked.

"Sure," he grinned and I set down my equipment on a nearby bench. I pulled off my shirt and was fully aware of Ryder's gaze on me while I stood in my training bra and athletic leggings. I smirked back and he pulled his gaze back to mine, but he didn't wear the embarrassed look on his face after being caught ogling.

"Why are you here? You have school." I stated.

"So do you." He replied back.

"Touché."

He chuckled and took a long swig of his water. His tanned face was wiped clean of sweat and I stared at his soft brown hair...

"Ruby." He snapped and I jerked back to reality. He was wearing that grin again and I couldn't help but blush. "Did you hear what I said?"

I shook my head no.

"I said that you should compete. From what I've seen so far, you're pretty good. Better than most people, actually, but not better than me."

I scoffed and placed my hands on my hips. "And what makes you think that?"

He took three precise steps closer to me and stopped. "We both know I'm better."

I took a step forward so that I was inches from his face. "Prove it."

•••

Ryder stood across from me in one of the rings, he looked at me with determination and I returned to favor.

"I'll go easy on you. Don't cry." He said.

"More like I'll go easy on you. I don't think you're ready to get beat by a girl. Again."

"What do you mean again-" he started but I took the distraction at the very moment and swung my right leg at his. He harrumphed and wobbled but quickly regained his posture. "Oh, so you like to play like that?" he said.

Ryder swung at my abdomen and hit the center, making me stumble backwards. I was happy that he wasn't scared to fight a girl like most guys were. He treated me just like everyone else and for that I was thankful.

We kept throwing punches and swings, ducking under arms and legs until finally, I took a small fraction of a second to pin him to the ground.

"So you like being on top, huh?" he smirked.

I rolled my eyes and tried to punch his jaw but he blocked my fist with his arm. Then, with much brute force, he flipped us over so that I was now on the bottom with him pressed above me. If I wasn't in so much shock, I might've enjoyed the position.

What?

He smiled and I kept struggling out of his grasp, but he wouldn't budge. He just laid on top of me, smirking victoriously until I finally gave in and relaxed under him.

"You won. There, happy now?" I said breathlessly.

He leaned down further. "Say that Ryder's sexy, irresistible, has a great body, and is the best fighter in the world."

I shook my head.

"Do it Ruby. Or I won't get off."

With a deep sigh, I mumbled out the words. "Ryder is sexy, irresistible, has a great body, and is the best fighter in the world." I said quickly.

"Again, I couldn't hear you." He played.

"Ryder is sexy, irresistible, has a great body, and is the best fighter in the world!" I said loudly, the phrase echoing throughout the entire empty gym.

He laughed and I poked his ribs. "You idiot."

When he looked down, I swallowed. The fight was over, yes, but my heart was beating faster than it ever had before. Ryder's face hovered above mine and he slowly lost his smirk. All that was there were his serious eyes and perfect face.

He leaned in closer and I could smell his breath. It smelled like rain and mint gum.

I was breathing heavily now, my heart pounding harder and harder. His eyes were trained solely on my lips, then wandered back to my eyes.

His lips brushed lightly against mine and I sucked in a breath, my lips tingling.

I suddenly tilted my head sideways and looked away from him. Pushing his body away, I got up hurriedly and stepped out of the ring.

"Where are you going?" he asked, climbing down after me.

"I, uh, I just have to get home. Bye." I grabbed my jacket, pulling it on over me and took my body the hell out of there.