Chapter 41

Chapter 41

One year later...

"Ruby! Ryder's here!" I heard my mom call down from the entry hall. Fixing my hair and finishing the final touches of my mascara and dress, I slipped on some not-to-high heels and carefully stumbled down the stairs.

How do people walk in these?

When I got to the bottom, I saw Ryder hug and greet my mom who had her camera in her hand.

"Hey guys..." I said, and stepped off the last stair.

Ryder's eyes connected with mine and then traveled down my body. I felt nervous because I had never really worn a dress before until today.

Senior Prom.

Could you believe it? Not only about a year ago did I meet Ryder. We had been enemies, friends, back to enemies, and now we were prom dates.

He looked back up at me and I saw a wide smile spreading across his face. He made me tingle with excitement and adrenaline.

"Oh, sweetie, you look wonderful." My mom said and came to hug me carefully so she wouldn't mess up my hair.

"Thanks mom." I kissed her cheek.

"You two, let's go take a picture." She said and led us outside.

Ryder settled his hand on my back and whispered in my ear. "You look amazingly stunning."

I blushed and looked back up at him. "And you look amazingly handsome in your tux. I swear, they were made just for you."

That seemed to make him happy and boost his ego, so he grinned and I pecked his lips.

"Okay you two lovebirds, stand close," my mom took her hands and gestured for us to move together.

Ryder's strong arms looped around the front of my waist and I was pulled back into his chest. He rested his chin on my head and I smiled at the camera.

"One...two...three...cheese!" My mom exclaimed and the flash almost blinded me.

"You guys are too cute." She waved and I chuckled.

"Wait wait wait!" I heard Karen's voice yell from the house next to ours. She came sprinting out of the front door with her own camera. I'm glad that my mom and Ryder's mom had gotten closer.

"Just one more picture, kids. Then you're off." Karen said and I smiled.

"So cute...so cute..." our moms admired the pictures and were pointing to our faces, smiling.

"Ready my lady?" Ryder asked and held out his arm.

I took his hand and grinned. "Very much so."

"Have fun kids! And be safe!" Brenda and Karen both yelled from our lawn.

I giggled and slid into the passenger seat of Ryder's new car. After he decided that riding a motorbike everywhere wasn't the best idea if we would to be attending parties or special tuxedo and dress events, he bought a car with the money he earned from his fights.

When we arrived, the night was dark but the entrance was lit up brightly by lights and camera flashes.

Ryder held his arm and I looped mine through his.

"Wow." We said in unison when we stepped into the gym that had been transformed completely into the best decorations I have ever seen.

There were simple and elegant lights twinkling along the ceilings and the stage was set up with a band who was already playing a slow song. I guess we were a tad bit late, but it's okay.