Chapter One

Hi, thank you for clicking through and reading this story.  This is my first ever on Wattpad - please excuse any mistakes. I hope you will enjoy reading it  Just a side note - an important one - I am obsessed with Pitch Perfect and was inspired by the main characters in that film. You may find similarities between the characters in tis story and the movie.  No actual knowledge of the movie is needed and the story is set in senior year of high school.

Ok, on with the show! 

_______________________________________________

Madison 'Max' Miller doesn't do birthdays. She doesn't.

Ok, maybe when she was little, she did get excited about her birthday parties, looking forward to cake and balloons and presents. Yes, definitely the presents. But all that changed on her eighth birthday. She had heard her parents quarrelling in hushed tones and the quarrels were getting more frequent. Over the top of her birthday cake as she was about to blow out her candles, Max saw her parents' fake smiles and forced joviality. She could not help feeling something was severely wrong between her mom and dad. And she was right. It was not even a month after her birthday party before her dad left and ever since Max did not want to celebrate her birthdays.

So it had been for the last nine years. No. Nothing for her birthday, thanks. But that did not stopped everyone else from having their birthdays.

She looked at the invite in her hand, shaking her head in disbelief. "What the shit is this?" She muttered under her breath, looking in disgust at the very pink, very glittery invite. "What rainbow pink unicorn drop this shit?"

"Oh hey! You got the invite?"

Max felt a pair of hands on her waist and she whirled around so fast she nearly decked her assailant on the chin.

"Whoa there."

She heard that familiar chuckle first before her eyes rest on him. Dark brown eyes laughing down at her, half smile across his face.

Jamie Harrison.

Jamie Samuel Harrison.

Only the most popular boy in school.

It was hard not to see why. Jamie Harrison must have been born under a full moon, in a night full of stars and the heavens sang when he came into the world. Not only was he an incredibly blessed athlete (team captain for soccer and basketball) and a straight 'A' student, he also had the voice of an angel. Max lost count of the number of school productions he had starred in. And to top it all, he was so sweet, down-to-earth and friendly that no one could not NOT love him.

It seemed so severely unfair that so much blessing was heaped on one boy but Max did not care about all that.

Jamie was her best friend.

Had been since she gave him half her tuna sandwich one day when they were five. True, he can be terribly annoying and too perfect that Max sometimes just wanted to hit him or vomit on him or do both. They were the bestest friends for the longest time; sometimes she could not remember a time when they were not friends.

It did not seem to bother him that she was not exactly the most popular girl in school either. They were like chalk and cheese. Max must have been born one dark night, with thunder and lightning. With her pseudo-goth make-up, piercings and daily uniform of plaid and dark, skinny jeans, she was not exactly the type of girl who made the cheerleading squad. Not exactly the type of girl to top the popularity stake. Max had always been a little different; more into her music than anything else; staying in the periphery of the high school social dynamics and not totally bothered by it. She did not suffer fools gladly and she rather be alone rather than be fake and popular.