Out of the City

It was hot. I was in the camper beside Shane. He and I had been hooking up, I don't if we we're more, we never talked about it but he was always around me. I didn't mind much .Bored with listening to Shane teach Andrea about guns, I looked out the window noticing as our path got more and more narrow then eventually blocked by an overturned truck. Shane got up looking out the front window as Daryl pulled up beside Dale.

        "So you see a way through?" He asked. Daryl nodded and rode forward.

        "Maybe we should just go back, there is an interstate bypass -"Glenn started but I cut him off.

      "We can't, were running on fumes as is." Dale continued driving, Shane and I were perched behind him and Glenn watching the road.

        "Can we even get through here?" Glenn asked just as the camper, let out a hiss and came to a stop, I jumped falling into Glenn, but Shane quickly pulled me back into his chest before I hit the windshield.

"Thanks," I sighed and straightened up. We all got out and I leaned against the camper, Shane standing beside me.

"I said it, didn’t I say it?" Dale huffed. “A thousand times dead in the water."

Shane, Lori, Carol and the kids got out and walked to us," Problem Dale?"

        "Just the small matter of being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no hope- " I pushed off the camper.

.        "There's hope." I mumbled nodding to Daryl who was going through the trunk of a car. “Maybe we could find food, water..."

        "We can siphon fuel from some cars."

        "This is a graveyard, I don't know how I feel about this." Lori spoke up, I frowned and there was a sudden tension in the air. After a brief pause before Shane and Rick gave the orders to look around. I walked away with Lori the kids and Carol. Settling to watch Carl and Sophia, leaving the scavenging to them.

        I watched Carol hold up a nice red shirt and smile a little. She noticed Lori ad I watching and frowned, "Ed never let me wear nice things like this.... we’re going to need clothes."

        She picked up the box and Lori went through children's lunchboxes. I went to a trunk of a car and picked up a box full of toys. I grinned and handed Sophia a Barbie and Carl a Nerf Gun.

        "Thanks Miss Lee,” Carl smiled up at me.

        "No problem Kiddo," I said playfully punching him he responded by backing away and shooting me in the stomach. We both laughed and I heard a small giggle from Sophia. We played for a few minutes before Rick rushed over.

        "Under the cars now!" he hissed, I grabbed Carl, but Sophia had ran off already under another car by the time Carl and I were under. Ricked looked over to me and nodded mouthing 'thanks'.

        I shielded Carl from the passing walkers glancing at Sophia every now and again. She was terrified, and to be honest so was I. After a few minutes things got quiet I looked straight to Rick, who was already sliding out from under his car but paused listening. There were a few stray steps. I glanced over at Sophia and my eyes widened. She was shimmying out right into the feet of a walker. She yelped and crawled back under, but the walker fell down to its knees going after her. Rick took this opportunity and got out, chasing after the frightened girl. Everyone all gathered at the edge, Lori was holding back Carol, and Shane walked to Carl and I. "You're alright."

        "Don't worry, man, I kept your girl safe." Carl puffed out his chest a little and fist-bumped him.        

         Shane raised an eyebrow and looked to me. "My girl?"

        “She is isn't she?" Carl asked thoroughly confused. 

        “Yeah. Yeah I guess she is." Shane smirked making me roll my eyes. I turned away and went to soothe Carol. She was a wreck. I bent down to her level.

        "Carol. Carol you need to calm down. Rick is one of the best men I've ever known, your daughter will be okay.” I said using my 'teacher voice'. As if on cue Rick ran up to the edge of the fence.

           “Shane, Daryl, Glenn!” he said running up to us. “Come here I want you to check something out,”

Shane looked around and pulled me with him, following Rick with Glenn and Daryl right behind.” What is it?”

“Sophia, she’s not where I left her. “ Rick said looking back briefly still walking. “I left her by the river, I was leading the walkers away…. “