Chapter 16

Fortune shone on them, and nothing troublesome befell on them for the duration of their journey. They arrived at the barracks by mid-afternoon. It seemed that after a day spent back in the saddle, Tristava was not especially eager to continue onward. They both eagerly agreed to spend one more night at the barracks before entering the forest the next morning.

After dismounting and getting their horses seen to, Tristava followed Rowan around. The place was little more than a square, two-story, stone tower – a small fortress and keep. Around it there was a courtyard, stables, kitchen and great hall, and a long hall for shared lodgings. The entire lot was fenced in with sturdy wooden poles that had been sharpened to spikes on top. Tristan knew that there would be more secure lodgings in the tower, in case royalty ever visited or they suffered an invasion. It seemed that Rowan's own home was a short distance away, but that he would be spending the night at the barracks with Tristan to ensure that the man was delivered up to do his duty in the morning.

They passed a few men sparring in the courtyard on their way to the great hall, and Tristan couldn't help but pause to watch. He scrutinized their form, their technique and their innovation instinctively.

"You should join them. The men would welcome a talent such as yours to sharpen their skills," Rowan suggested.

"I have my own matters to focus on," Tristan replied, trying to brush the suggestion aside lightly.

The truth was he would have nothing to keep him busy all afternoon, but he was a stranger to the men who lived at the barracks. Stepping in could invite unwarranted enmity towards him.

"Nonsense," Rowan replied as he slapped him a little too firmly on the back. "My men could do with a good tutor."

There was something behind his words, but Tristan chose not to think too much of it. Instead his eyes followed a lithe figure that had been battling an opponent on the opposite end of the courtyard. He admired the man's skill with his daggers. For himself, he had never had much success yielding just daggers in a fight.

Ava noticed the man too. He was about her age, and his features were handsome. His body was strong, but not bulky. There was no softness around his middle, and he moved with a confident grace.

'The man fights well,' Tristan noted approvingly when he realized that Ava was also watching him move.

'He looks good when he moves,' Ava agreed.

"Jarin!" Rowan called when he noted Tristava's interest.

The man looked up, and then came over upon being called by his master.

"We have a visitor in need of some activity. Would you be obliging?" Rowan suggested.

Tristan threw a rueful scowl at Rowan. Rowan let a smile tease his lips in response.

"It would be my honor, master," Jarin replied.

'Why does he call Rowan his master?' Ava asked. 'Is he some sort of servant?'

'No. It is because he has come here to apprentice under him as a soldier,' Tristan replied. 'He calls him master to show his respect for his position as his tutor. Rowan must be much favored by the King of this land to have been honored with this post.'

While Tristan had been helping Ava understand, he'd walked to an empty part of the courtyard behind Jarin and drawn his sword. Now the two stood ready to start. Jarin made the first move. He was swift, but Tristan danced around him easily enough. Ava realized that she was starting to anticipate Tristan's moves.

The pair sparred fiercely for some time, until at last Tristan found that his fatigue was overwhelming him.

'What didst thee do to mine body this morning, wench?' Tristan growled with annoyance.