8

How were you always turning the tables on him? It wasn't fair to go from insanely opposed to blind loyalty.

It was confusing.

He hated how his stomach churned when you said it. He hated how he couldn't help but watch your lips form the words.

This was truly punishment. It made his chest tight, like his heart wasn't pumping properly.

The door vibrated against his back.

"Uhm," ugh - your voice was so small, he hated that too, "a-are you alright?"
Law paused taking a deep breath, "Yeah," he  opened the door just a smidge, "I'll be out in moment."

He needed a break from you. 

Enough light had hit his face through the small opening of the door for you to see how pale he'd gone. His appearance was a bit alarming as his silver irises had bloomed guiding attention to tight fixed pupils. The crescent dark patches under his eyes had deepened.

"I-I don't think you're ok," you asserted.
"I said I'm fine, F/N." your fiance snapped.

Your concerned face wasn't helping.

It was as if a hand crept up his chest and gripped the base of his throat. A sharp gasp passed his lips while tattooed fingers clawed at the imaginary threat. Muscles contracted which had him stumbling back barely landing on the edge of bed.

Quickly you entered the room without his permission, rushing to lay him on his left side, just as he had done with you. Taking the space beside him you tipped his chin up to open his airway before placing your hand over his, attempting to calm him. His short nails had already left red marks on his neck and collar.

"There's nothing there, shh," you murmured gently pulling his wrists to rest on the bed in the space between you, "look at me and try to match my breath."

His gaze struggled to focus on your face while his ears searched for the sound of your calming breaths. He took a moment to realize that your fingers were combing through his hair.

"I'm here," you murmured, "you're alright."

The dark blur that had rolled in like a fog and threatened his vision suddenly ebbed. His trmbling body started to ease into the mattress as his grip on your shirt became an understood sensation to his previously numb fingertips.

You made sure to focus solely on him. It was such an easy quick switch to nurture you had to wounder if you were helping. Your poor fiance had certainly never experienced this side of you.

"It must've been really hard to be that vulnerable." you continued warmly messaging his scalp.

That wasn't it.

He could only manage a huff.

"I'll make sure you're more comfortable next time."

That wasn't it at all.

Law nodded feebly and rasped out, "It's fine, thanks."

He closed his eyes to distract himself from your soft expression as you continued to comb through his hair and hum. There was still an uncomfortable tightness in his chest that kept him from taking a full breath, but his extremities were finally starting to relax.

As the tension in his jaw faded you let out a quiet chuckle, "I don't suppose I can carry you to the bath tub."
One slate iris suddenly became visible while peeped up at you incredulously, "No."
"But you're covered in sweat and it'll help you relax more." you urged.
He pulled away stiffly, "F/N-ya - "
"Doctors really are bad patients." you interrupted his protest and stood, "How about you don't have an option? I know I am the last person who should say this, especially to a health care professional but, stop letting yourself be miserable."
"You're right," he replied dryly, "you shouldn't say that to anyone."
"Alright," you held up your hands, "I did that to myself. Anyway, you're going to relax while I draw you a bath."

Before he could reply you'd stepped into the bathroom and turned on the water.

Law felt like he was in the twilight zone. He honestly didn't know you could be so warm and comforting. It just reminded him that he didn't know you.

Shakily he sat up in the bed and removed his shirt before making an attempt to stand. When you rounded the corner Law was leaning against the dresser with a towel around his waist. Your gaze trailed over the large tattoo you'd never seen before. It seemed to match the ones on his forearms. As he turned revealing even more undiscovered ink you felt your face warm up.

"I - uh have some eucalyptus oil in my room you can use." Averting your eyes you excused yourself. 

Law didn't have time to react before you skittered away, so he shuffled into the bathroom with a sigh and eased into the tub before you returned. When you reentered his bathroom the towel was neatly folded and placed on the lidded toilet. You placed the small vile of aroma oil on the side of the bathtub.

"This seems to help me relax." you murmured taking a seat after moving the towel to the sink.

His tattooed hand appeared pushing the shower curtain back just enough to see his chest up. He took the vile and poured a cap full into the steaming water.

"Thanks." he breathed resting his head against the tiled wall.
"I guess sitting in an apartment tub isn't very comfortable for someone your height." you fiddled with the hem of your shirt.
"It's not so bad." he shrugged, "I have to say I didn't expect this to happen. You don't have to stay, there's like a two percent chance I'll drown."
"That's still a chance." you retorted.
He sighed as his steely eyes rolled in your direction, "I only meant you don't have to waste your time in here."
"I'm not wasting my time," you pouted, "but if you want me to go I can. I just wanted to make sure you're alright."
His chest felt tight again for a brief moment, "It's fine. You can stay."

You nodded while he closed his eyes again. The color was slowly coming back to his face which gave you some comfort. Taking the opportunity, you let your gaze sway over his sharp features. He really was attractive, it was shameful that you hadn't noticed before.

"You know it's rude to stare." his eyes were closed but a smirk curved his lips.
"H-how are you feeling now?" you looked down at the floor and breezed passed his comment.
"As calm as I can feel at this point, I suppose." he muttered, "The eucalyptus is nice, we'll have to get more."
"Sure, I have lavender and neroli blossom too, but I thought that might be a bit too girly."
"I don't think scents are gender specific - if it's nice it's nice." he brought his hand out of the water and ran it through his hair slicking it back.
"I suppose," you fidgeted.

A comfortable quiet settled in while you fiddled with your shirt. Eventually Law closed the curtain completely and stood at which point you excused yourself and went into the kitchen.

Law entered with his hair still damp, just as you turned holding his mug filled with steaming herbal tea.

"Thanks." he murmured, fingers overlapping yours as he accepted the hot drink.
"You're welcome."

Both of you sat at the small table, like you did on mornings before going your separate ways for work.

"So," you both spoke at once and glanced up at each other.

"Go ahead." you tucked your hair behind your ear.
He nodded, "What's your schedule like on Sunday?"
"The shop is closed so I usually just go in from nine to noon to clean and make sure orders are organized for the week. Why?"
He sighed and kept his eyes on the mug in front of him, "There's a place I'd like to take you."