Chapter 10

The day passes slowly and my head doesn't stop hurting. I hide it the best I can from Leo as we try to think of something to do to save Charlie. Unfortunately, by the end of the day the decision is made and we have nothing to show for all our thinking. Charlie is leaving, and we can't stop it.

Dash and Kara reappear, and Leo manages to call out for a six-pack. Neither Dash nor Leo has told me where they manage to get these things and some days it drives me crazy. Leo calls the group to the roof and starts handing out the drinks.

"Charlie is leaving." Leo explains to the group.

"Does that mean I get a single?" Kara asks excitedly. We all just stare at her. "What?"

"To Charlie." Leo holds up his drink and we all toast. Then I see something that I hadn't noticed before.

"What is that?" I stare in awe, moving closer to the edge of the roof. Across the street on top of a posh apartment building is some seriously beautiful graffiti. "That's amazing."

"That wasn't there yesterday." Leo states. All of us move to the edge of the roof and stare at the new artwork.

"Where did it come from?" Jordi wonders out loud.

We all just stand there staring at it for a while, drinking and staring at the new work. We aren't there long before Kara grabs a hold of Leo and whispers something in his ear. He looks concerned and I watch him take her back to the hospital.

Not too long after the head off, Jordi and Emma start getting really mushy and make their way down stairs as well. Only Dash and I are left on the roof top. We stand there still staring at the art for a bit before I speak. "It's really good Dash."

"Yeah, the artist must've meant it for somebody or something." He says back.

"Like maybe a group of friends who spend a lot of time on this roof?" I smile, looking at him.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"I know the smell of spray paint anywhere. I went to a school for the arts remember? Not to mention you lit up like a proud artist when everyone was complimenting your work." I give him a knowing grin.

"You good, like a hot Sherlock Holmes." Dash shook his head at me.

"Well thank you, I – ah!" I bend over and clutch my head. Gasping in shock at the sudden pain.

"Piper! Are you okay?" Dash is supporting me in an instant.

"Yeah, I'm – fine." I breathe heavy, fighting through the pain.

"We gotta get you to Dr. McAndrew." Dash starts to move me towards the door, but I resist.

"No!" I pull back.

"Piper, you need McAndrew, something could be wrong."

"I know! But I need more time." I look at Dash desperately, trying to find a way to explain.

"What do you mean?" The pain in my head subsides and I straighten slowly.

"I know what he's going to say. He won't let me continue chemo, he'll push for the surgery right away and I'm not ready, Dash!"

"You could die."

"I'm not going to wait forever; I just…I haven't told him how I feel yet and if I have this surgery I could never get the chance."

"Leo knows how you feel. And he'll wait until you can talk again to tell him."

"You don't understand. There's a reason Dr. McAndrew was pushing to not wait too long. It's not just because the tumor could become inoperable. If it grows, or has already grown a bit McAndrew could still operate. But it will grow into the part of my brain that controls my memory." I pause to let that sink in. "If I don't tell him that I love him before I have this surgery, I might not get the chance because I might not remember any of you, or any of this. I have to tell him before I tell anyone about my headaches, because when this surgery is over, I might not remember that I loved him, and I can't stand the idea of him never knowing that I did."

Dash stares at me in shock for a moment. "Why didn't you tell us before?"

"I thought the chemo was working. I didn't even know at first, but I was talking with Dr. McAndrew the other day and I got angry at him pushing for the surgery over and over again, and he finally told me." I sigh and roll my eyes trying not t cry. "Dash I don't want to forget any of this, but I don't know if I'll have a choice. I don't want to go back to the girl I was before this, I don't want to forget." The tears start rolling down my cheeks and Dash hugs me.

"You better hurry up and tell Leo that you love him then, because the longer you wait, the better the chance you will." I snort and roll my eyes at Dash. "Hey, But if you do forget, we'll help you remember." Dash smiles at me.

"Thanks." I smile at Dash and hug him again.

"Alright, let's get back down stairs before Leo comes up here looking for you and finds us hugging again. I seen what he did to ya boy Trevor and I don't wanna be on the receiving end of that." I laugh and nod.