Chapter 8

I stare in disbelief as he jogs up to us and sighs in relief.

"I've been looking all over for you. The nurse at the front desk wouldn't tell me anything. I've only just heard about what happened. I'm so sorry. Are you alright?" He says everything without pause, not letting anyone get a word in.

I keep staring at him for a minute. "Um, no…not really doing too great. You know," I point to my head. "Brain tumor and all." I begin to wonder if he was always this inconsiderate.

"Of course, that was a stupid question." I nod. "But, I'm here now. When I heard the news, I finally realized how much I care about you and what a mistake I had made."

"Trevor, this is Leo. Leo, this is my ex Trevor." I introduce them, ignoring that last statement he's just made.

"Hey." The hardness in Leo's voice was completely lost to Trevor.

"Hello." Trevor doesn't even turn to glance at Leo. "Pipes, can we go somewhere to talk…privately." He stage whispers the last word.

I turn to Leo and he nods. "Let's walk." I say to Trevor leading him only a little ways down the hall to where the front desk and elevators are. I strategically place him closer to the elevators. "What are you doing here?"

"I told you, I realized I made a mistake."

"Oh, well four months is nothing. Glad you finally came around."

"Pipes don't be like that."

"I hate that nickname!" I snap quietly.

"But it's so cute." He brushes off my annoyance. I wonder with each word that falls from his mouth what I ever saw in him. "Look, I don't want you to be alone at a time like this. I'm here to be with you, and when you finally get better, we can go to Julliard together. After that, we'll travel the world telling people our story and making beautiful music together, the great composer and his lovely prodigy girlfriend! We'll be the couple who faced the impossible and came out stronger on the other side."

"Are you seriously trying to sell my cancer as a sob story right now?" I look at him in utter disbelief. "I'm not alone! And I don't want to travel anywhere with you as your sob story arm candy." I snap.

"Pipes, together we'll be the greatest team there's ever been." He grabs my hand.

"You stole that line from Wicked. And do not call me 'Pipes'." I yank my hand back, but I can feel my strength depleting. Chemo has begun taking its toll on me. "You aren't even listening to me are you? God, I don't know what I ever saw in you. You've always been so self centered, so obnoxious, so –"

Trevor yanked my face to his and slammed his lips into mine. This kiss, much unlike the one I'd shared with Leo, hurt. I felt bruised and violated. I tried to push away from him but all my energy was gone. He was much stronger than me, especially in my current state.

"HEY!" Unbeknownst to me, Leo had been watching the entire interaction. When he saw Trevor kiss me, he snapped. Rushing over faster then I'd ever seen him move on his crutches, he shoved Trevor off of me. "Are you okay?" He asks gently, and before I can respond Trevor cuts in.

"Who the hell are you?" He snaps, sizing Leo up.

"I'm the reason she doesn't need you." He answers.

"Are you kidding me?" Trevor looks past Leo at me. "You're going to choose a cripple over me? You really are pathetic, aren't you?"

The second the words leave his mouth Leo's fist collides with Trevor's face.

"Oh my God!" I shout.

Trevor recovers and tries to take a swing at Leo. Leo drops his crutches and tackles Trevor. They fall to the ground rolling around and throwing punches.