“State your name and reason for calling.” asked a woman’s voice. Sherri. The secretary in charge of directing calls and keeping track of our identities and other paperwork.

            “Evelyn. I need to speak to Mr. Porter immediately. It’s an emergency,” I told her in a whisper.

            “Evelyn? You’re one of the trainees. What’s going—“

            “I need Mr. Porter!” I shouted.

            She didn’t say another word. Instead she sent my call to Mr. Porter’s office phone. “This is Clint Porter.”

            “Mr. Porter,” I sobbed. “G-Gabriel is in t-trouble and I-I don’t know what to d-do.”

            “Evelyn? Where are you? You’re not meant to leave this facility!”

            “G-Gabriel took me on his job with him and he t-t-told me to leave if I was in danger so I did but the g-g-guy that was at the c-car to-told me that Gabriel was g-g-g-going to be k-killed! What do I do?!”

            Mr. Porter was silent for a moment. “I’m sending agents there now. He went to the address in the files?”

            “Y-yes. A w-warehouse.”

            “Evelyn, listen to me very carefully. I need you to get back to the headquarters. Do you know the way back?”

            “Yes b-but—“

            “Do as I said, Evelyn. Gabriel will be alright. Agents are already on the way to save him. Don’t be stupid.”

            I held the icepack on Gabriel’s forehead with a grimace as I looked at his bruised face again. His left eye was swollen and dark. His cheeks were cut up and bruised, his forehead had a giant knot on it, his lip was busted with a gash in it, and the rest of him was just as bad. I didn’t go straight back to the HQ like I was told to, instead I went back to make sure the agents found him alright. They did, unfortunately for him he was still getting his ass kicked. There were five big guys there versus just one so he was pretty screwed.

            “I’m glad you listened to me,” he admitted as his hand held the ice pack.

            I gently dabbed at the blood with a wet cloth. “I didn’t want to. I was really worried about you. If I knew how to fight I would’ve gone in after you, instead of running away like a coward.”

            His hand cupped my cheek, making me meet his eyes. “You aren’t a coward. You did the right thing. Even if you did know how to fight you would’ve ended up in the same position that I was in and we both would’ve died. Angel, you saved my life.” I smiled softly at him and continued with mending his wounds.

            After that was done we were told to report to Mr. Porter’s office. “That was one of the stupidest things you have ever done, Gabriel!” the man shouted. “You put Evelyn in unnecessary danger! She could have been killed. She is not trained enough to go out on dangerous missions like that. I never want to hear of you doing something like this again. It was senseless to bring her with you.”

            “If I hadn’t been there Gabriel would be dead,” I interjected.

            “He should be able to handle things like that on his own. He needs to be able to assess situations and get out of them safely. He shouldn’t have needed a new untrained agent to save him. It is ridiculous that he brought you with him for no good reason other than his need to impress the girls he’s attracted to.” My eyes widened a fraction and flashed over to Gabriel who was staring straight ahead at Mr. Porter with his jaw locked and fists clenched behind his back. “Both of you are to remain in your rooms for the rest of this week. Food will be brought to you. Training or any other activities will be off limits.”

            “But then Evelyn will be behind on—“

            “Then you shouldn’t have taken her with you.”

            “Can’t you just punish me? I’m the one that broke the rule. You can let Jason train her or something until I’m done.”

            “No. My decision is final. Evelyn, you are now excused. Go straight to your room,” Mr. Porter announced.