Chapter 14

I bit my lip as I looked at myself in the mirror. I was wearing a fitted blue long-sleeved v-neck that showed off the curves I'd gained over training. My black skinny jeans gave praise to my toned legs. The boots I was wearing made the outfit seem bad. A good bad. A bad that said "I do what I want when I want". I shook my head at the thought. It was stupid. I wasn't a 'bad girl'.

I grabbed my favorite black jacket off the back of my desk chair and shrugged it on. I leaned into my mirror, double checking my makeup. My hair fell down in red curls around my face and onto my shoulders. I was ready.

Going to Kale's wasn't a good idea. I knew that. But I also knew that I needed him to trust me—or at least trust the lie. As long as he didn't realize I was onto him I would be fine. Right?

I scribbled a little note for Gabe. "I had to go. I'm sorry. Don't be mad. –E" I knew he would be mad no matter what I said but I couldn't help but add that last part. "P.S. Give me two hours." I added, just in case. I wasn't sure if he would actually give me a full two hours. If anything he'd probably only give me the time it takes to get from here to Kale's house.

I swallowed in an attempt to calm the knot in my gut and my phone buzzed in my back pocket.

<On your way?> It was Kale.

<Leaving now> I replied hastily.

Before he could reply again I grabbed my backpack and slid open my bedroom window as quietly as I could. I snaked my left leg out and found the fire escape with my foot. I swooped under, pulling my right leg with me, and gently shut the window after standing up. I let out a breath, eyeing the note on my bed one last time before quietly making my way down.

When I was on the street I took off running. I'd told Kale not to come get me, I would walk. I didn't want him to know where we were staying nor did I want Gabriel noticing Kale around our apartment. Both were dangerous.

It took me twenty-five minutes to run to Kale's house. I was panting by the time I arrived. I did my best to calm my breathing once I reached his front lawn. The cold nighttime air was crisp and dry as it hit my face. Once my breathing was under control I knocked on the door.

His smile was wide and his eyes were confident when he saw me. "Glad you could make it," he said, stepping aside to allow me in.

I nodded and returned his smile. "Me too," I replied.

"Was it hard?" he asked.

"Sorry?"

"Was it hard breaking out?" he asked again.

"Oh, no not really," I said with a shrug. In reality Gabriel originally wanted to watch some movies in the living room. I told him I wasn't feeling well and was going to lie down. He didn't suspect a thing.

"Good," he nodded as he led me through the house.

"Nice place," I commented. The stairs were against the wall in the entryway. To my left was the large living room and the direction we were headed (straight) was the kitchen.

"Thanks," he said with a pleased smile. "Do you want anything to drink or eat?"

Polite, I thought dryly. "Water would be good, please," I replied. After my run I was feeling a bit parched.

He grabbed a glass from a cabinet. "You can go into the living room and unpack your stuff. I'll be in a minute. I'm going to make a little snack."

I smiled and made my way through the dining room, which sat to the left of the kitchen, and then into the living room. The room was tidy and looked like it belonged with a 'cookie-cutter' family. There was a nice leather couch against the front windows and a glass coffee table sat in front of that. There was a chair—matching the couch—that sat in the corner between the doorways, facing the large flat screen television. The TV was in the center of a large shelved piece of furniture. Each side of the TV was enclosed by glass doors and had various family photos inside. Below the TV were movies and a blue-ray player. I took a seat on the couch and started thumbing through my bag. I had my history notebook as well as my own personal notebook, which I brought with me for comfort.