iii. a forever smile and its uses

The next morning he awoke to a pounding headache. His eyes cracked open and his forehead throbbed. A whine. He didn't want to get out of bed. He didn't want to go to work.

     He thought of the bookshop he visited yesterday; threats of rejection plaguing his mind; a friendly shop owner; a stable income. They would want him to get out of bed. He got out of bed. His spine, like his books', felt old. It cracked like he was two hundred and not twenty four. During the process of getting sorted for the day he contemplated getting back into bed. They would want him to go to work. The door shut behind him with a soft click and a shimmer of the wards.

     Travelling to the Godwin's Books took almost no effort on his part. A swish of his wand, a crack, and he deposited in an alley built with the same dull red bricks. It had him questioning whether he actually apparated or not. The excited squeals of little children made him abandon that thought.

     He dusted himself off and turned into the main street, walking shortly to the bookshop.

     It was already open, so Remus entered without too much thought. He dodged a woman and her son, who was giggling as he held a picture book to his chest.

     The shop—as inviting as it was the day before—was filled with people, all similar-looking to that woman and her son. It was loud, the babbling of small children and the chastising of parents; at least seven small clusters of people littered the place.

     Standing in the middle of it all was Liam, smiling as he chatted with someone over the till. He was always smiling. The inactive muscles of Remus' face had never felt so useless.

     Someone said his name.

     "Remus!" It was Liam. His employer was standing in front of him in no time. "I'm so glad you're here. There are a lot of customers and I, unfortunately, only have two hands."

     "Sorry I couldn't be here earlier. I'm not used to waking up so early," He said and immediately regretted it. Why would he say that to his new boss? He must already think Remus was incompetent.

     Liam quirked a curious brow. His short hair was combed away from his face, and Remus could see everything. He didn't think he imagined the regret on Liam's face, but maybe that was just his ingrained cynicism talking. "I struggle to wake up in the morning, too. Don't worry." He let out a breath before looking around the shop. "Anyway, I should get back to it. You can place your things in the back room and join me out here."

     Remus nodded and did as he was instructed. The room hadn't changed since the day before.

     "What do I need to do?" Asked Remus, having returned to the front of the book shop.

     Liam's smile hadn't changed. "Let's start off simple."

     They were locking up. The few lingering customers had finally left. The sun had set. He and Liam were alone.

     "I should get going," he said as he collected his things. Liam was bent over the desk, leafing through a few files. He perked up suddenly, and Remus had to refrain from brandishing his wand.

     "I was wondering if you wanted to go out to dinner," he said. "Kind of as a celebratory first-day-type-of-thing. My treat."

     Remus gulped. "I would love to, but I really should get going. It's late and I actually want to get up on time tomorrow." He hoped the injected humour softened the blow. He couldn't ruin their relationship. He'd be out of the job in a second.

     Liam only shook his head softly. "No, that's fair. It's your first day and your probably pretty tired. Have a good night." He raised a finger in warning. "I'd better see you bright and early tomorrow!" His tone was harsh, but that smile he wore—never having left—abated whatever fear Remus might have felt.

     "Of course, Liam. Be safe."

     "You too, Remus."

——————————