Chapter 16

It doesn't take them long at all to reach Evie and Mal's dorm, not with the way Evie hurries them along. As soon as they're all in the room she starts passing around outfits.

"Jay. Carlos," she mutters to herself as she hands them each a garment bag. "And Hayden," she finishes, passing him a bag and giving him an exasperated look as she does. "It's black on black," she tells him.

"Perfect," Hayden says with a smirk.

"You really are just a little ray of darkness, aren't you?" Carlos asks in amusement.

He shrugs. "I'd say I try but it just comes naturally."

"He's got an excuse now," Jay points out. "I mean, what else could we expect the god of shadows to wear?"

Hayden gives him a look. "I'm not technically a god," he reminds him and just gets four disbelieving looks in reply.

"Hayden," Mal says clearly, "just because you're not gonna be bleeding ichor any time soon doesn't mean you're not a god. You just got four domains. Godly domains," she stresses.

He just rolls his eyes and turns on his heel, garment bag in hand. "Whatever you say, Mal. I'll see you guys at Cotillion," he says as he heads toward the door.

"Make sure you do something with your hair," Evie calls after him. He throws a lazy wave over his shoulder in answer.

Hayden makes his way to his dorm room without any interruptions. The halls are basically empty with everyone busy getting ready for the night which means he doesn't have to deal with people avoiding the possibility of eye contact and turning to avoid him.

Granted, it's much less common than when they first arrived. Most people have gotten used to him being around even if they're still not comfortable with it.

Hayden comes to his room's door and smirks a little when he sees the still crooked number 13. He pushes the door open, unsurprised that it's unlocked and equally unsurprised by who he sees as he closes it behind him.

Persephone is sitting on the table in the center of the room much like Hayden himself often does. Hades is on her left and actually sitting in a chair. His feet aren't even kicked up on the table because, as mother and son have both heard countless times before, he knows how to sit like a civilized person.

"Did you break in?" Hayden asks casually, tossing the bag in his hand over the end of the bed.

Hades scoffs. "As if we'd actually have to. Nice lock though," he adds. "It should keep the mortals out. You know, if any are ever foolish enough to try and get in."

"Yeah. Carlos rigged one up for each of our rooms and Jay approved them."

Hades nods in approval. "Good. Good. Fates know you can't trust these Auradonians."

"Believe me, I don't," Hayden drawls.

Persephone rolls her dark eyes as she hops off the table. "Stop making our son as paranoid as you," she tells Hades.

"It's not paranoia," he claims as he stands up. "Most everyone in Auradon and on Olympus hates us. That means it's just... strategic caution."

Hayden watches with a smile as the two of them start to argue. It's nice for him to actually see his parents together. He can tell there's no real heat behind any of their words and, as he watches, Persephone unconsciously reaches out to adjust Hades' tie. The god allows it without complaint.

He can't help but notice that it's just the sort of thing he and Harry have done numerous times before. Two people that can be away from each other for months only to fall right back into familiar habits with no hesitation...