But calling Leo a monster was harsh, and Sam knew it. Still, he kept replaying the hard thud of the cup making impact on the ground, and couldn't help but wonder if the bug was just as terrified as he would've been.

Sam didn't respond to Leo's texts that night.

It took until the next morning, when the sleep was fresh in his mind and his bones ached with the climb down from behind the wardrobe, for Sam to rediscover why he kept talking to these humans when he knew it meant only danger for him and his species.

A notification blew up the screen of Sam's phone (he referred to the phone as his now), blinking twice before disappearing back to the blank pit of black void. Sam double tapped his palm against the bottom button to see what Leo had to say.

nucLEOnic: u okay sam? Sorry if I upset u or sum last night.

While he was concerned about what Leo could possibly know about upsetting Him, Sam took the time to appreciate having such a good friend that would check up on him after less than twenty four hours of not responding. Sam guessed Leo mostly likely knew how desperate he was for friends.

MyNameIsSam: I'm okay. Rough night ig. Why do u think u upset me?

nucLEOnic: idk. U didn't respond so I assumed I did something lol

MyNameIsSam: nah it's a personal thing. Sorry for not responding.

Leo let out a long breath after that. Sam was okay, their friendship was okay, and the bond between the two boys remained intact. It wasn't everyday Leo got insecure over his relationship with someone, but for some reason, his friendship with Sam was incredibly personal to him. It was as if Sam had suddenly walked into his life one day and never left, leaving an impact on Leo's everyday actions and thoughts. He appreciated the new guy about as much as one would appreciate family.

So, when the time came, he was quick to assume Sam would be alright with actually talking to him.

nucLEOnic: sam u up?

Sam blinked away the illumination of the screen before him, dashing over to the phone before there was even a second thought. He had always been good at responding quick (no matter how long it took him to actually type with his small hands) and this was no exception. It wasn't as if he was ever busy with anything other than 'borrowing', anyways.

MyNameIsSam: Yeah

MyNameIsSam: Whats up

nucLEOnic: just wondering if u would be comfortable w a real conversation. Like over the phone

nucLEOnic: u don't have to but I think it would be fun. And I don't have to wait for ur slow ass typing lol

Sam should've predicted this would happen. It wasn't as if he was completely caught off guard, because the possibility of meeting in person was out of question and Sam tried to prepare for the next best thing, but for it to come so soon left a new sort of feeling in his stomach. It wasn't quite the excitement of butterflies that he normally got when chatting with Leo, but it wasn't complete fear either.

Talking on the phone rose a whole set of new challenges for Sam. For one, he would need to move locations away from the wall of Leo's bedroom, seeing as a voice coming out of a speaker would most likely result in Leo thinking he was going insane. Or, on the off chance his parents believed him when he told them he was hearing things inside his wall, Sam's home would be knocked down until they found the source, and he would be discovered. Sometimes Sam sat alone at night, curled up on his bedding, fantasizing of a world where he was not afraid of his best friend. He would run with open arms into the safe palms of Leo, and in return, Leo would protect him from any outside forces to be reckoned with. Sam dreamed of being out in the open during all hours of the day, or lounging out in the front pocket of Leo's book bag to accompany him to his classes. It was nothing short of a paradise for him.