Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 2

Caitlin nervously eyed the three cowboys standing in front of her. She stood with Keith, one hand automatically on his walker so it wouldn't slip as he balanced on it, her other hand out to his arm in case he needed help. When she shifted her attention from Keith to them, the niggle of fear that was always simmering in the back of her mind whispered, "It's okay".

"Caity my dear, I'd like you to meet the West boys. This one over here, I'd hazard, is Heather's boy all grown up, and this is Tanner. The one beside him is—"

"Brady," the least tall one of the trio interjected, hands in his pockets. She caught his warm hazel eyes, and backed up a step, averting her gaze elsewhere.

"This is Caitlin, my home nurse," Keith added, and she nodded, trying to smile. Be polite, don't let on that you are three seconds away from melting down for no apparent reason.

"I'm Jake, and you are correct sir. I'm Heather's," Jake stepped in and shook Keith's hand. "You're our former stable manager, I take it?"

"I am indeed, son. My God, it was like Brett used a photocopier. Look at you." he exclaimed, and if it was possible, beamed wider. He was almost animated in how happy he was to see these men, and she focused on that, instead of the response she'd had to them. She turned her attention back to him, and put her hand on his shoulder. "Keith, you should sit."

He nodded and eased himself back to the bench, sighing as he did. Brady, who she had decided was the least intimidating one of the bunch, smiled uneasily and sat down beside him.

"What did you do to yourself?" he asked.

"It's my hip. It wore out. They gave me a titanium one instead."

Tanner's biceps bulged as he crossed his arms, which made her jump. She backed up beside Keith, and sat on his other side, her legs shaking from the effort to keep herself under control.

These men were not going to hurt her. No one here was her ex. She wasn't in danger, and hadn't been in danger since she'd left Abel last year. But it was there, adrenaline spiking across her skin, restricting her chest. She took a few cleansing breaths as silently as possible, the tightness in her lungs easing, the panic throbbing just under the surface.

"All those years getting thrown off horses caught up with you, didn't it?" Tanner replied, his smile quirked to one side, humour in his voice. "I remember when you busted your back. How's that doin'?"

"It healed up nice. Only twinges when we're about to get rain," Keith replied with a chuckle and smiled back. "Caity, I watched these two boys grow up, and I remember that one when he was still in his nappies."

Keith pointed to Jake, who blushed and ran a hand through his hair. It immediately disarmed him, as had Tanner smiling and reminiscing. She glanced over at Brady, who was still sitting beside Keith. He'd gone silent, his face serious, almost sad.

Their eyes met again, and he smiled tightly. Something was bothering him. He was about as tense as she was. He looked away, back to Keith, studying him.

She'd heard plenty of stories from Keith about the West boys, how much trouble they'd got into, how they'd grown into strong, fine men. Stories that involved horses more often than not, and invariably ended with someone getting in trouble, or injured. More stories about Brady, now that she thought about it, and none about Jake. Keith had been at the ranch there a long time. Obviously they had lost touch with one another.

She forced herself to clasp her hands casually in her lap, trying her best to mirror their effortless ease. She needed to push past these kneejerk initial reactions. Her therapist said it was important to try, even if it doesn't work. Be present, take interest. Keep the conversation light, and it would get easier every time.