Chapter 48: Acceptance

Arnav watched Khushi deep in thought

After their unexpected disagreement that morning, she had completely vanished, skipping lunch with him and even the occasional 'how are you doing' text. Arnav was seriously starting to get worried, when she finally showed up, a little too pale for comfort, and numerous files –it was routine for her to fill out her patient charts in his room before sleeping– in her petite arms.

It was strange.

She always adorned a smile when coming to his room, but today, she was so... blank. As though she saw a ghost. Had she really taken that much offence to the Ved issue? Although Arnav agreed with her point –as always– he wished she understood his too. It wasn't healthy for her friendship the longer she waited to talk to Ved. And losing a good friend –that too on his expense– was the last thing Arnav wanted.

Perhaps she was tired. It was, after all, almost 11 o'clock. Anyone would be tired, forget someone who worked as hard as her. However, even as that thought crossed his head, Arnav knew it wasn't the case. No, Khushi –now seated on the sofa across from him, pouring over her files– wasn't fatigued... she was apprehensive.

Maybe she was having a hard time with the charts. Arnav didn't understand how on earth she even knew which patient was which. He had a hard time trying to learn all the names of the nurses assigned to him –and there were a lot– how on earth was she managing to keep track of all her patients?

As though hearing his thoughts, Khushi suddenly glanced up. Upon catching him looking at her, however, she blushed and looked away. 

She was a strange little human.

She belonged to the legendary Guptas and yet there wasn't an air of superiority. And in return, she called him royalty. How did she think he even stood a chance next to her? She was the best resident in the hospital –he had been told of that multiple times by multiple people– and yet he always saw her reviewing research papers and picking up extra shifts for practice. Why did she feel the need to constantly reassure herself about her abilities? How could someone as talented as her not see what she was capable of?

No wonder Ved was head over heels in love with her. She was a diamond stranded in ruins. Even a hundred lifetimes of good deeds may not be sufficient to win her over.

"You are staring."

Arnav blinked, finally registering that Khushi was watching him anxiously.

"Why are you staring at me?" she asked. "Is... is something wrong?"

"I'm wondering how on earth all those files are making sense to you," he replied with a smile. "It's almost midnight – aren't you tired?"

She looked... relieved. "Oh... no, these are nothing. I like working."