Chapter 40: Known

Khushi rummaged through her wardrobe, utterly perplexed on what to pack

Khushi rummaged through her wardrobe, utterly perplexed on what to pack. It was a late Thursday evening and she was due to leave for Nainital the very next day. Thanks to her demanding shifts at the hospital, she had left her packing to the last minute and now, she was paying dearly for it.

"Dinner is ready!" Arnav called.

Khushi sighed.

"What's wrong?"

She looked up to find him standing at the door of their bedroom, throwing a skeptical and not to mention, puzzled look at the mess.

"I'm packing," she groaned in answer.

"You sure you aren't just throwing things around? Why does it look like a tornado has been through here?"

"Very funny... I don't like packing."

"No one likes packing... besides what could you possibly need for a medical trip that requires this much damage?"

"I will put everything back in order," she grumbled, slumping down on the bed, tired. "Stop worrying."

Arnav carefully walked inside, artfully making sure he wasn't stepping on something before sitting down beside her.

"Will you save me the trouble of figuring out what's wrong and just tell me?"

"Nothing is wrong... I just..." she trailed off not knowing what to say.

"Don't want to go?"

Khushi's head hung in shame. He was right, of course, like always. Although the medical camp was a source of excitement in the hospital, for Khushi it seemed nothing more than an inconvenience. She had to reschedule all of her appointments for the next three days, work extra hours drawing up treatment plans for patients currently admitted –including Adya, who was still on life support with a steady heartbeat– and Khushi didn't even want to think about the amount of work that will be waiting for her when she comes back.

Besides, what was even the point of this trip? A fancy acknowledgment on her CV if and ever she decides to find a job elsewhere? What was Dr. Awasti thinking before enlisting her?

"I think," Arnav finally said. "You have starting anxiety."

"I have what?"

"You are comfortable here and to leave everything and go is... not optimal."

Khushi snorted. "Very nice Chef Raizada... you can get a psychology degree with that analysis."

He held up his hands as though not to be blamed. "Hey, I'm just learning from the best."

Khushi smirked. "Thanks for flattering me... but I don't have starting anxiety. In fact, for the first time ever, I'm not anxious at all."

He was stumped. "Then what is it?"