Chapter the Fifth: Coincidences

Start from the beginning

"How would we do that?" Parvati asked, going to sit on her own bed. "There are thousands of people that it could be."

Lavender thought for a moment, then said, "What if we compared the handwriting of the notes to the handwriting of other students?" Hermione immediately shook her head. Y/n knew that she was about to destroy Lavender's suggestion. 

"Nobody actually writes like this, Lavender," Hermione said. "And if they were smart, they'd know to disguise their handwriting so that no one can recognize it- not to mention that Parvati's right. It could be thousands of people, and that's just way too many for us to check."

"Oh," Lavender said. "I suppose you're right."

Parvati's face then lit up. "I have an idea!" she said. All of the other girls looked at her. "What if Y/n left them a note of her own? Think; whoever it is managed to get in here to deliver the note, and they'd likely be very curious if they saw that she left one for them! There's almost no way that they wouldn't pick it up and read it!"

"That... is brilliant, Parvati," Y/n said. Lavender nodded in agreement. 

However, Hermione still seemed a bit skeptical. "We don't know that they'll respond, though."

"They seem really determined to get and keep Y/n's attention," Parvati argued. "I think that if she's really all that important to them, then they'll respond to her."

"You do have a really good point," Hermione conceded. 

"It's settled, then," Y/n declared. "I'm going to write a note for them and ask for answers."

After she had finished most of her homework, Y/n decided to get started on her note. 

𝓓𝓮𝓪𝓻 𝓐𝓷𝓸𝓷𝔂𝓶𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓝𝓸𝓽𝓮-𝓢𝓮𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻, she started, then crumpled the paper up. It seemed too soft to start the letter with; the notes she received never had "Dear Y/n" written on them. She got out a new piece of parchment. 

𝓦𝓱𝓸𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓻 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓻𝓮, she wrote, 

𝓘 𝔀𝓪𝓷𝓽 𝓪𝓷𝓼𝔀𝓮𝓻𝓼, 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓘 𝔀𝓪𝓷𝓽 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓶 𝓼𝓸𝓸𝓷. 𝓘 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝓯𝓮𝔀 𝓺𝓾𝓮𝓼𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷𝓼 𝓽𝓸 𝓪𝓼𝓴 𝔂𝓸𝓾:𝓦𝓱𝓸 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝔂𝓸𝓾?𝓦𝓱𝔂 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝔀𝓻𝓲𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓽𝓸 𝓶𝓮? 𝓗𝓸𝔀 𝓭𝓲𝓭 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓯𝓲𝓷𝓭 𝓶𝓮?𝓑𝓮𝓼𝓽,𝓨/𝓷 𝓦𝓮𝓪𝓼𝓵𝓮𝔂

She folded the note up, wrote "To Anonymous Note-Sender" on it, and then placed it on her bedside table. Then she climbed into bed and fell asleep. 

Soon, the first years' first flying lesson came around- and the Gryffindors would be learning with the Slytherins. Most of the other Gryffindors grumbled and groaned about it- especially Ron- but Y/n was delighted that she would be seeing Daniel sooner than she normally would have. 

Y/n, Hermione, and Neville all walked to a large green field near the Forbidden Forest, which Y/n had sworn to herself that she would never, ever enter. Both Hermione and Neville were veru nervous about learning to fly. Hermione had attempted to learn by reading all she could about it, but Y/n had a feeling that that wasn't going to help much. Neville seemed glad to take any advice he could get, though, so he and Hermione chatted about flying tips all the way down.