Chapter 2: Guardian Angel

Start from the beginning

Everyone split up to look for survivors when Ren found a wounded huntsman and called them over. "What happened?" Ruby asked

The huntsman gave a weak cough. "Bandits... A whole tribe."

Rtas knelt down and looked at the huntsmans wounds. "He's lost too much blood, he'll pass any moment now."

The group of teens were about to yell at Rtas when the huntsman spoke again. "It's okay, I've made peace." He grabbed the elites arm. "Please, protect them. They need guidance to become greater warriors." Rtas gave a nod, seeing this the huntsman closed his eyes and drew his last breath.

"Should we... Bury him?" Nora asked

Rtas stood up and started to walk on. "No, we must go. Whoever did this could be nearby still, as well as the grimm." The Shipmaster saw Ren and Nora hesitate when they saw a certain track. It gave him a thought that perhaps the two have seen it before.

(With Weiss)

Weiss hesitated outside her fathers study as he heard him yelling at someone. She opened the door and heard none other than General Ironwood. "That is a load of garbage and you know it."

"I beg your pardon?!" Weiss' father yelled.

"Jacque, will you please just hear me out?" Ironwood asked

Jacque placed down a glass he was drinking. "You are a trusted friend to our family James, but what you're suggesting is absurd!" He slammed his fist down onto the arm of his chair.

"You are blowing it out of proportion."

Jacque stood up. "The council will never agree to it!"

James stood up as well. "You forget, I hold two seats on the council."

"Your dust embargo has already cost me millions. I can assure you I have not forgotten!"

"So this IS about you." The two men were drawn from their argument to the sound of the door shutting behind Weiss as she came in. "Ms. Schnee... My apologies, I should've been gone by now."

Weiss was honestly surprised that Ironwood was APOLOGIZING... To HER of all people. "It-It's okay.

Ironwood looked back to Jacque. "We will continue this at another time."

"Indeed" Jaque replied as he gave a nod. "Klein can show you out."

"Don't worry, I know the way" James responded with before heading out on his own. He turned to sat one lat thing once he got to the door. "Until next time, Jaque." James then looked to Weiss. "Please know you'll always have a home in Atlas Academy Ms. Schnee, we'll be back in session before you know it." With that the General finally left the office.

"Did you forget your manners while you were away?" Jacque asked Weiss, almost as if nothing had ever happened just now.

Weiss sighed to herself before regaining her composure. "No father, I'm sorry."

Jacque went back to his desk. "Can you believe there people who still blame Atlas for what happened to Beacon? To Vale?"

"Well, they weren't there" Weiss pointed out.

"It's a wonder Ironwood wasn't stripped of his rank!" Her father growled angerly. He sat down in his chair, turning his back to her. "I suppose the council trusts him, for better or worse."

"I trust him" Weiss said as she held one arm with the other.

Jacque sighed and turned his chair to face her. "Thanks to him, Atlas is forbidden to export dust to any of the other kingdoms. A 'precautionary measure' he puts it. 'Until we're certain none of the kingdoms are going to declare war'. How anyone can possibly find that to be sound logic is beyond me. Which is why the Schnee Dust Company will be holding a charity concert in the coming weeks. We need to show the people of Remnant that we are on their side, that we are all victims of the fall of Beacon."

"That's... Wonderful news" Weiss responded as she faked a smile.

"I know, and I think it would make a lot of people happy if you performed at the event."

Weiss was shocked, but did her best to keep her composure. "E-Excuse me?"

"Many forget that you were there. My own daughter, a Schnee, on the grounds defending another kingdom! We need to remind them, and we need to show them that the Schnee family is just as strong as ever."

"Are you asking me if I'd like to sing, or telling me?"

Jacque put his elbows on his desk and intertwined his fingers. "I think it would make a lot of people happy."

Weiss quietly sighed to herself. "I'll start practicing."

"That's my girl" Jacque said, basically dismissing Weiss.

POV: Weiss

I went to my room, shutting the door before I sat at my desk. It was hard trying to think of a song due to Beacon, but I suddenly remembered something that Onyx or Emile had once said. "Spartans never die, there just Missing In Action.

I saw them more than just what they said they were, that's when the lyrics to the song I wanted to make suddenly flowed out onto paper as I wrote them down.

POV: 3rd

Rtas woke up from dosing off, having heard a voice he didn't recognize. The elite grabbed his weapon and went to investigate. Eventually he stumbled across Jaune doing late night training, he was listening to the recording on his scroll of a man who looked much like Ruby. "Alright, one last time" the recording said, Jaune got in a fighting stance. "Twelve o'clock!" Jaune slashed foward in a downward swing with his sword. "Watch your six!" Jaune turned a bit to block an imaginary attack before stabbing the fake foe. "Up top!" Jaune did an overhead swing. "One more dead ahead!" Jaune stepped forward and spun into a power swing, cleaving the imagination in half. "Good work, take a break." Jaune sat on the ground. "You've come a long way since we started Jaune, I'm proud of you. Give it time and you'll eventually become one of the greatest huntsmen alive." Jaune got up and turned off the recording.

Rtas decided to make himself known. "Your mentor is right, you have potential."

Jaune looked over, not expecting company. "Oh, sorry if I woke you up."

Rtas walked over to stand opposite of Jaune. "No need to worry, but a recording can only get you so far." Rtas grabbed a tree branch and broke it off, using it as a staff. The sanghili got into a fighting stance. "Ready." The two spent the most of the night sparring before going back to the others to sleep.