I could feel Dakarai’s gaze boring into my head as Ora’s cries began to soften to a whimper.

I started as a heavy load drop to the earth, making the ground beneath me tremble for a moment.  I looked up, surprised to see wide topaz eyes staring at me, blinking rapidly and gasping as her lungs fought for the air they had been deprived of.  The skaal on the ground turned to look at Dakarai with fearful eyes as the purple skaal looked down at her, baring her fangs in a subtle, but terrifying, manner.

“So what would you have me do, hatchling?  Shall we send her off and risk being overcome by skaal forces on our journey?”

“I don’t know, don’t you skaal have magic? Can’t you make her keep a secret or anything of the like?”

Dakarai cracked a smile, I wasn’t sure if it was genuine or not since every smile she gave made my feathers stand on end.

                “We have magic, but each differ in our abilities.  I do not have such a power.”

                “Please, if you will allow me to speak?”  Ora’s voice was softer than before, startling me from the contrast of the normal rasp of the skaal.

I glanced back at Dakarai, having looked down at Ora as she spoke.  Dakarai simply shook her head, nodding towards the other skaal with an indifferent shrug.

                “You may,” I cautioned.

                “If you are true to your word and do not want to see me die, I will gladly assist you on your travels.”

                “Just a moment ago, you were ready to end my life.  How can I trust you after that?”

                “You know as well as I the history our species share.  It was no fault of mine or yours to want to kill the other.  However you spared my life and I am indebted to you.  If you will have me, I will serve as a guard against any and all obstacles you face.”

                “If you know of our history, then I am sure you will understand if I do not fully believe your words.”

                “You do not know much of our culture I assume?”  I shook my head.  “We skaal are good on our word.  We may seem brutal and perhaps savage to your kind, but when we make a promise, we stick to it.  We also hold our honor above all else and we do not easily forget, for we are a long lived race.  You saved my life even though we were enemies and so I owe my life to you.  It seems you trust Dakarai-kweii, ask her if you entertain doubts on the words I just spoke.”

                “She spoke true,” Dakarai answered when I glanced her way.

I was completely lost, I wasn’t even sure if I did trust Dakarai.  It seemed she was hiding something from me and I wasn’t sure how important it was to our mission.

                “How far up are you in skaal ranks?  From what I heard, you are someone under few authorities.”

                “My rank has nothing to do with this, you will leave my past well alone, pavox.”  I started at the savageness in her voice, even Ora blinked in surprise.

                “Very well.  But suppose I do take you with us, how am I supposed to explain this to the others, especially once we arrive at our destination?  Having you come along was risk enough, Dakarai no offense.”  Where was Amiri?  I could use his advice right now.

                “Simply tell them the truth, you saved her life and she now follows you to protect yours.”

                “And they’ll accept it?”