Chapter 1

Chapter 1

“What is it daddy?” The little girl asked her father, staring at the caged creature with careful curiosity.

“He is one of the Vroulk,” her father replied, his hard gaze boring into the creature’s wide, fear filled eyes.

“Why is it caged?  Where are its wings daddy?”

“Their kind does not have wings; they are forced to stay grounded.  This … Aardelan has caused us much trouble, so he must pay for his actions.”

The child stood still, eyes not moving off of the Aardelan that was looking around fearfully, her face scrunched in thought at her father’s words.

“Verwydeit dei gevagen!”  Release the prisoner!  Warriors surrounded the caged man, opening the door and forcing him out, prodding him with their bows.  The man emerged slowly, glancing around nervously.  His eyes rested on the girl’s father, the leader of the Valkze tribe.

“Please…  I was only acting under orders!”

The girl didn’t understand the strange language the man was speaking, however her father understood well.   He replied back in the strange language and then in his own language shouted.

Skietoge! Gered jou seerange!” Archers! Ready your weapons!  The warriors around the group all lifted their bows, arrows already knocked in place.  The man’s pleas increased in speed and volume as if persistence could dissuade his executioners from their job.  Her father said something to the man in his own language, and then in a calm, steely voice and without looking away from the man, he said

Skietit.” Fire

The girl watched as the arrows sank into the man’s body, killing him instantly.

“It was necessary for the good of our people, the Vroulk are nothing but monsters,” her father told her.

The girl nodded and watched as the warriors, bidden by her father, took the body away to be disposed of.  Despite her father’s words, she almost felt sorry for the creature…

If only I had known…

                The approaching sound of rapid foot falls jarred me from the beginning of sleep’s peaceful hold and a memory from my earlier life in the village, my home; where I belonged.   Not stuck in this hell hole as a slave.  The footsteps slowed and then stopped in front of my cell.  I could hear faint muttering and a muffled, deep throated laugh before the door was forced open on its screeching hinges.  The light outside was bright compared to my near void of light prison so I brought my white wings up to my face to shield me from the sudden light as I cowered back in the corner.  When my eyes adjusted, I slowly brought my wings back to their resting spots and peeked up to see two men standing in the doorway looking down at my huddled form.

“That’s her?” a voice asked, I could see his eyes sweeping over me critically.  “How tall did you say she was again?”

“She’s still mostly small-like, but I’d say a lil’ over five foot.  Here, Kyra! Stand up!”

It’s Araceli I thought bitterly as I shuffled up on my feet to obey, the clipped ends of my talons scraping across the rocky floor.

“Hmm, good height, you say she’s strong?”

“Quite, don’t let ‘er small frame fool ya; their kind is quite strong for their build as a whole, and she’ll only get stronger wit’ age.”

“I am aware.”  There was a pause. “Quite pretty too, and for such a young ages like you said.   Where did you get her?”

“Aye, she’s one of my best.  Got her from the Valkze tribe I did, tried to fly away but I was quicker!”  He jabbed out with his large hand, grabbing the air as if to emphasize his point.